Sunday, July 31, 2011

Lake Tippacanú Adventure

Last Thursday my son, Tim, and Grandson, Evan, invited me to accompany them on an adventure in the wild. We drove 2 ½ hours into the Sierra Nevada Mountains to Utica Lake, one of many lakes in this scenic area.
There we launched Tim’s canoe and explored the lake looking for a spot to camp on one of the islands.

We found a beautiful spot, put up the tent quickly and then returned about one mile rowing across the lake to get all out gear. Now we loaded all our stuff into an inflatable raft, piling food containers, sleeping bags, chairs and table and tying them securely. We looked like an aquatic version of the Hollywood Hillbillies as we towed the raft with the canoe… all three of us rowing hard back to our island home.
It was a beautiful evening. Tim fixed us some peanut butter and jam sandwiches which we devoured as we sat and watched the sunset across the lake. Tim’s wife, Cheryl, had prepared and packed wonderful meals with all the trimmings. The second night we had corn on the cob roasted in foil over the open fire, cooked squash and potatoes baked in foil. And all this together with delicious BBQ New York steaks! Tim has a double grill invention that hold steaks sandwiched between the two grills so they can be held over an open fire and turned over while being barbequed. They were so good!
Friday we hiked all over the island, through dense forests and climbing to the top of huge rocks for awesome views.
All went well until... Yes, there has to be an “until.” We had loaded up the canoe to take me back to my car since I was returning home while Tim and Evan were staying another night. Tim and Evan were in the canoe, with my suitcase and ready to row with me the one mile across to my car. I put one foot in the canoe and was pushing off from the shore when I lost my footing and tipped the canoe over and dumped us all nicely into the lake. It was a hilarious sight! Tim grabbed my suitcase in time to save my Bible from damage. My devotional journal now has that “authentic antique look”. Actually I was surprised to find that the water was not uncomfortably cold. But I hurried out of the water because I had my little camera on my belt. Digital cameras, just like their old fashioned ancestors, do not like to be baptized by immersion… ha. When I got home I took it all apart and have the main parts sealed a baggy with rice to see if I can dry it out. I think there might be hope to salvage it. The pictures I had taken had not suffered damage.
I have decide to rename this lake with an old Indian name, “Lake Tippacanú”… ha!
(Click on pictures to enlarge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment