Thursday, May 17, 2012

Whatever you do... Don't Go in There!


17 years had passed since Frances and I had ministered in Lucy Soza’s little church in a poverty neighborhood in Santa Fe.  I had to stop to inquire for directions.  My GPS took me to the general area, but now the streets were mostly unpaved and unnamed.  My GPS was as lost as I was.  I found a police station and stopped to inquire where the church was located. Two policemen came out to my car to help me.  I told them where I was going and they told me where the church was, but said something like this, “Whatever you do… don’t go into that area.  It is extremely dangerous.  Armed policemen don’t even go in there.”  I told them I was scheduled to minister later that night in the church there.  “Well, you are on your own.”  (They didn’t know about Gabriel, my guardian angel.)

I found a huge new church building where the little one had formerly been… and parked in front.  Pastor Lucy received me with great joy. 
I walked into a beautiful sanctuary prepared for over 800!  At least 500 showed up on a Monday night!  


I had Lucy hold Felipe’s suitcase.  (Lucy in the blue.)   That was the only participation she had in the whole service.  The youth led the worship, did the announcements, took the offering and presented the preacher.  She just sat and watched.  I am confident many of those young guys could have done the preaching, too.






This mob of kids would be in the grasp of the enemy of their soul, were it not for Lucy.




As I drove away around midnight I watched Lucy along with a lady friend walk down the muddy street out of the lighted area and into the darkness.  In my heart I said, “There goes one of God’s dare-devils.”  
And Gabriel turned and said to the devil, “Don’t you dare even think of touching her!”       
Ralph