Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hetch Hetchy Hike

Yesterday, Monday May 27, was Memorial Day holiday in the USA.  My son Tim and grandson Evan were needing to get out into the open and breathe some fresh mountain air.  They invited me along.  How could I resist?  

Our destination was Wapama Water Falls above Hetch Hetchy Lake in the mountains just north of Yosemite Valley.  We left at 7:30 AM.  At 10 AM we could see the falls in the distance from the edge of our high mountain road.   



While Tim and I were taking in the scenery, my grandson, "Mighty Man Evan", almost 16 years old, was busy splitting this rock right down the middle.  Watch out below! 




We arrived at the dam at 10:30 AM.  It was a beautiful day for a hike, neither cold nor hot.  

This lake supplies the water for the city of San Francisco 200 miles to the west.  Click on the picture to enlarge and thus see the falls in the distance across the lake.



The 2.4 mile hike to the falls takes us across the dam and through this tunnel.  Tim takes his high quality camera and tripod with him everywhere.  I just used my little pocket Panasonic Lumix.




Rest stop in the shade... from Tim's camera and tripod.




Monkeys can't seem to resist trees.




Evan was everywhere at once, up the mountain side or on a high rock over- looking the lake.  

If the mountain hike didn't do it, the scenery would take your breath away.




Now there he is resting on a rock made especially for napping...  just long enough to snap a picture.



"Mighty Man" is showing off again.  




A friendly lizard is also showing off, doing his morning push-ups in the sun. He blends in perfectly with the multicolored stone cliff.




Finally we arrived at our destination.  It was a roaring torrent with spray going everywhere.



The hike back, climbing up and down, over the same trail seemed longer for some reason.  

Nonetheless I thanked the Creator of all this majesty for the privilege of joining with my offspring, hiking mountain trails and breathing God's fresh air.  I arrived at my home in Modesto almost exactly 12 hours after leaving.  

God has been so good to fill my life with adventures of many kinds.  Thank you Jesus for 81 years of Your "abundant life!" (John 10:10)

Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment