Wednesday, June 17, 2015

She said, “You can call me… “

Tuesday 6-16-15 (Home in Modesto)
Scripture reading:  1 Kings 17-19     Col 2


S.  1 Kings 18:28-29  So they shouted louder, and following their normal custom, they cut themselves with knives and swords until the blood gushed out.  They raved all afternoon until the time of the evening sacrifice, but still there was no reply, no voice, no answer.  NLT


O.  These 450 prophets of Baal were really sincere.  They were sure that their Baal would come to their rescue and light the fire.  Elijah helped them a little.  “Why don’t you yell a little louder?  Your god probably is taking a nap.”  They were sincere, but sincerely wrong.  Their god was no god at all.  Just a stone.  But Elijah had the true God that could be reached from anywhere and at any time.


A.  I was somewhere in the USA in an event with lots of people crowded around.  I had done a thing with Felipe, which often endears me to the little kids.  Now here comes a darling little 5 year old blonde.  She had a small, apparently blank paper in her hand and gave it to me.  It had several lines of scribbling on it.  Obviously this little girl did not know her letters yet.  I looked a bit puzzled while she watched me “read” it.  Then with a twist she turned to go and announced with great confidence, “You can call me when you need me!”  And she melted into the crowd.  I laughed for hours inside… and am still giggling when I think of her.


God’s “calling card” says “You can call me when you need me.”  I often need Him at crazy hours of the day or night.  He doesn’t even make me punch numbers or place me on “hold”.  Elijah believed God for an answer now… so he stepped back for the explosion.  Talk about 4th of July fireworks!   


P.  Thanks God for just being there for me whenever I call.  You are waiting for my call even when I am not in need of anything… so here’s a call to just say, “I love You, God.  I’ve got to go to bed.  Have a nice night!…  What’s that?  No night there?  I knew that!  What was I thinking?”  Amen.*


Ralph

I need Thee, Oh I need Thee
Every hour I need Thee.
Oh, bless me now my Savior
I come to Thee


*True, I usually do my devotional time in the morning, but this time I got in a hurry and did it at night, too.  No problem.  He’s open 24/7.



No comments:

Post a Comment