Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Baskets and Bank Accounts

Saturday  2-27-16 (Martinez, Buenos Aires, Argentina)     

Scripture reading for today:    Num 21 – 23     Mark 6 - 7

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Mark 6:41-45 And when He had taken the five loaves and the two fish, He looked up to heaven, blessed and broke the loaves, and gave them to His disciples to set before them; and the two fish He divided among them all.  So they all ate and were filled.  And they took up twelve baskets full of fragments and of the fish.  Now those who had eaten the loaves were about five thousand men.  NKJV


O.  There were 12 baskets and 12 apostles.  Jesus breaks up the bread and fishes and puts a little bit in each basket. “Okay boys, go give it out!” And after all hunger was satisfied and after cleanup, each of the 12 disciples had a full basket. 


A.  But I look in my basket and count the men in the front row.  “Excuse me, Jesus. When I get to the third row with an empty basket these hungry men will rip me apart!  If you are going to do a miracle here, why don’t you just make a huge pile of bread on this side and a pile of fish over here and we can come back for refills?”  “What is that You say, Jesus?  You want me to learn to give from an almost empty basket... but that never runs out?”  


I prefer my miracle dollars up front so I can calculate how much I can afford to give away.  Jesus says, “Give it away first... then the miracle will happen.” 


I know a missionary couple that sold their home before starting to raise their needed funds to go to the field... and agreed together to give away the entire equity amount of the sale to needy churches and pastors along the way. They handed out thousands of dollars... while they were trying to raise missionary dollars.  Sounds crazy, but to my knowledge they have never struggled with weak finances.  God delights in responding to His most generous givers.


P.  Lord, You know that was not me.  I never owned a house to sell back then.  And even if I had, I am sure that I would not have taken such drastic steps of generosity.  But, looking back over the years, Lord Jesus, I have never seen a generous believer go hungry.  Give me a passionate, generous heart.  And yes, I have noticed that I cannot out-give You, Lord.  When I think my basket is looking empty, behold... there is a miraculous new supply!  Teach me Your ways, I pray.  Amen.


Ralph  



No comments:

Post a Comment