Thursday, April 14, 2016

Faith came... and her face was no longer sad

Thursday 4-7-16   Las Grutas
Scripture reading:  1 Sam 1 - 2   Psalm 66      2 Cor 7
S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.

S.  1 Sam 1:17-18 Then Eli answered and said, "Go in peace, and the God of Israel grant your petition which you have asked of Him." And she said, "Let your maidservant find favor in your sight." So the woman went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad.  NKJV

O.  Hannah was tormented constantly by Peninnah, her rival... because she was barren.  Now, somewhere near the door of the tabernacle where the priest Eli was sitting, Hannah silently prayed and wept bitterly.  Eli thought she was drunk and scolded her.  She let him know that she had not been drinking, but that her heart was broken and she was fervently asking God for His favor.  Eli then spoke some encouraging words to her.  So she left the house of God “and her face was no longer sad”.  

A.  I was trying to start a church in La Boca with services 7 nights per week.  A little congregation was forming in an open parking lot.  Then the cold and rain drove us into a 12 foot by 12 foot storage room.  I was frustrated because I saw no possibility of purchasing property for our new little church. Then God sent me Pastor Claude Qualls from the USA.  He did not previously know me and visa versa.  That night before he left, he looked at the finest building in La Boca, a cantina alongside the lot where we were worshipping... and said, “Ralph, this is the building that God is going to give you!”  He apologized for not being in a situation to be able to help us.  He was heavily committed elsewhere. But something happened that night.  Like Hannah... I left the service joyful.  Every day thereafter, as I stopped at the signal light and saw that building, my heart leaped with joy.  “It is ours! That will become our new church building.” I had no more money than before. But God had given me a wonderful gift, called “faith”.  And faith alone made me full of joy.  For the rest of the story you will have to read my book... soon to be published: “Argentina, A Love Story.”

P.  Dear Lord, I need a fresh dosage of that kind of faith today.  I want to be able to pray for things that are difficult, yes, even impossible... and suddenly be filled with Your joy, because it is “done”.  I do not see it yet.  There is barely a tiny cloud on the horizon, but I am getting ready for a downpour.  Because, like Hannah, You have taken away my frustration and planted Your joy in my heart.  Amen.


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment