Tuesday, December 9, 2014

My Debt... Paid in Full!

My devotional today: 

Tuesday 12-9-14 (Hotel Tacuarembó, Uruguay) 1 Tim 5-6    Titus 1-3

S.  Titus 3:3-8  Once we, too, were foolish and disobedient. We were misled by others and became slaves to many wicked desires and evil pleasures. Our lives were full of evil and envy. We hated others, and they hated us. But then God our Savior showed us his kindness and love. He saved us, not because of the good things we did, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins and gave us a new life through the Holy Spirit.   He generously poured out the Spirit upon us because of what Jesus Christ our Savior did. He declared us not guilty because of his great kindness. And now we know that we will inherit eternal life.  NLT

O. Although the Apostle Paul was a fanatical Pharisee before his conversion, adhering to every tiny aspect of the multitude of Jewish laws, he includes himself in his description of the former lives of these Gentiles: foolish, disobedient, misled, slaves to wicked desires and evil pleasures, full of evil, envy and hatred.  But then… God showed us his kindness and love.  He was the Author and Initiator of our salvation.  It had nothing to do with our good deeds.  It was a result of His mercy.  He washed away our sins, poured in His Spirit and declared us not guilty all because of what Jesus Christ our Savior did.  And now we have no doubt concerning our eternal future.  We know we have eternal life!

A.  So many religious people live in doubt about their salvation.  They are hoping that their good deeds will out-weigh their lies, hatred and cheating and win for them a place in heaven.  They are never sure, because they are focused upon themselves and their flawed lives.  The wonderful good news of Jesus Christ takes our focus off our good deeds and stumbling failures and places it fully upon Jesus.  “Looking unto Jesus the Author and finisher of our faith…” Hebrews 12:2  What Jesus started, He finished!  He did it with a final triumphant cry, “It is Finished!”  Our salvation is assured us, not by our spotless performance, but because of His spotless performance.  Our attempt to climb the stairway to the stars always falls short.  But behold!  He descended the stairway from the stars and stepped down from His glory into a world of evil and suffering… and took upon Himself our sin and guilt… nailing it to the cross.  And this is “Good News” indeed!

P.  Thank you, Lord, for the blessed assurance of my salvation.  As I stood by and helplessly watched my darling wife, Frances, slip off into eternity… I could see clearly that she had no fear of the future.  She expressed right up to the final moments her exciting anticipation of her new home in heaven.  She knew that none of us can make ourselves worthy of Your love and generosity.  But oh the joy of knowing that all is well, because You, Lord. paid the price in full for our salvation!  Amen.

Note: My pastor during my early adolescence was William Booth-Clibborn, son of Le Marchelle, Catherine Booth-Clibborn, daughter of General William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army.  William Booth-Clibborn wrote many songs.  His most famous one was this marvelous poem to be sung to the melody composed by Eduardo di Capua in 1898, usually sung to the lyrics of “O Sole Mio” also written in 1898 by Giovanni Capurro.  I watched my pastor walk back and forth across the platform as he played his violin beautifully while we all sang these words in profound worship of our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ.  What a heritage I had as a little boy… in having this powerful, talented servant of God as my pastor! 

Read this poem… an expression of my devotional truths written above and if you know the melody… sing it from your heart!

Ralph
Down from His glory,
  Ever living story,
My God and Savior came,
  And Jesus was His name.
Born in a manger,
  To His own a stranger,
A Man of sorrows, tears and agony.

O how I love Him! How I adore Him!
My breath, my sunshine, my all in all!
The great Creator became my Savior,
  And all God’s fulness dwelleth in Him.

What condescension,
  Bringing us redemption;
That in the dead of night,
  Not one faint hope in sight,
God, gracious, tender,
  Laid aside His splendor,
Stooping to woo, to win, to save my soul.

O how I love Him! How I adore Him!
My breath, my sunshine, my all in all!
The great Creator became my Savior,
  And all God’s fulness dwelleth in Him.

 Without reluctance,
  Flesh and blood His substance
He took the form of man,
  Revealed the hidden plan.
O glorious mystery,
  Sacrifice of Calvary,
And now I know Thou art the great “I AM.”

O how I love Him! How I adore Him!
My breath, my sunshine, my all in all!
The great Creator became my Savior,
  And all God’s fulness dwelleth in Him.




No comments:

Post a Comment