Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My Life is My Message

My personal devotion:  Tuesday 2-17-15 (Home) 

Scripture reading:     Num 1-2                Acts 24

S.  Acts 24:24-26 A few days later Felix came with his wife, Drusilla, who was Jewish. Sending for Paul, they listened as he told them about faith in Christ Jesus. As he reasoned with them about righteousness and self-control and the judgment to come, Felix was terrified. "Go away for now," he replied. "When it is more convenient, I'll call for you again." He also hoped that Paul would bribe him, so he sent for him quite often and talked with him. NLT

O.  We meet three politically powerful men in this chapter and the next in Luke’s account, men that I do not expect to see in heaven, although they heard Paul’s Holy Spirit anointed message of the Gospel.  The first of these three was Governor Felix and he even brought in his Jewish wife and privately called Paul from the dungeon to hear him teach them about Jesus Christ.  There they sit, a man and wife clothed in royalty.  I am guessing that she is a beautiful woman decked out with jewelry.  Paul comes in his common clothing brought in from a dingy prison.  “Tell us about this man Jesus.”  Paul did that, but he went deep to the heart of their political culture and reasoned with him about eternal values, true righteousness and God’s judgment.  Felix is now literally shaking inside.   And as people often do, when trembling under conviction, he sends Paul away with.  “I have a really busy day today, we’ll talk about this at a more convenient time.” Felix and his wife, like us all, were needy souls.  He brought Paul up from his cell many times to discuss these things and may have felt the convicting power of the Holy Spirit time and again. 

But he was rich and powerful, and rich powerful people are often trapped by their own riches and political position.  They always want more.  So during some of these conversations Felix looks around to make sure no guards are listening, “I know you have access to money, Paul, because you said you were in Jerusalem to bring a generous gift to the poor Christians there.  Perhaps we could make a little deal.  I think I could have you out of this prison in two days with a… with a… little help.  What do you say?”  “No?”  “Maybe after eating the sloppy garbage one more week down in the dungeon you will change your mind!”  

So after two long years, when Felix is being replaced and sent to another post, he leaves Paul in prison.  And Felix, who knows the truth of Paul’s message, remains imprisoned by his own riches and political status.  I want to believe that his pretty Jewish wife became a true believer.  It could be, you know.

A.  I have never been thrown in prison, but I have been under pressure of extortion by policemen and high authorities on various occasions.  The easy way out is not always the best way out.  Paul’s refusal to compromise his integrity had to leave an indelible impression on Governor Felix.  The Gospel he heard preached, was not only heard, but witnessed in the life of the preacher.

P.   My Lord Jesus, may my life line up with my message!  May my actions concur with my words!  I know that my life is my real message.  My words will fall flat if my life does not honor Your standards of holiness.  So I pray that you will come to my rescue when the pressure is on and give me the strength to walk the talk and live the life, not only when being observed by others, but also when only Your eyes can see me.   Amen.

In my heart this morning I can hear an old song by Hal Lillenas, a song that I used to sing as a solo when in my teens:  The final words of the refrain are: “Strength for my weakness He doth impart.  He is the joy of my longing heart.  Fair Rose of Sharon is Jesus to me.  He is the theme of my song.” 

Ralph




No comments:

Post a Comment