Thursday, July 23, 2015

God, You spoiled it!

Thursday 7-23-15 (Home Modesto, California)

Scripture reading:  2 Kings 20    Isaiah 38-39    Ps 75    1 Peter 2

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  2 Kings 20:19-20  Then Hezekiah said to Isaiah, "This message you have given me from the LORD is good." But the king was thinking, "At least there will be peace and security during my lifetime." NLT


O.  Isaiah the prophet had informed Hezekiah that he would have his life extended 15 years, but after his death the army of Babylon would overrun the city and carry away his sons and daughters and theirs… to be made into slaves and eunuchs to serve Babylon’s king.  So this noble King Hezekiah that has faithfully sought God, brought revival, escaped danger through prayer and much more is saying to himself.  “Whew!  My kids and theirs will all be captured and forced into slavery, but I’m cool… because there will be peace in my lifetime.”


A.  I liked King Hezekiah up until this last sentence.  Why did Isaiah have to record what Hezekiah was “thinking?”  It leaves one nasty, dark blot on his record.  Maybe it was to remind me that the Lord knows what I am thinking… and that is a scary thought indeed.  But it also tells me that unlike other records of men’s heroes, God does not hide his heroes’ errors.  He paints a clean portrait of this great king and just before adding his signature God splashes this final dark blot on the canvass.  It shows me the integrity of God’s Holy Word. 


P.  God, You spoiled it!  We could have made statues of Saint Hezekiah in his spotless flowing robes, but “No,” you revealed his “thoughts” to us.  So I’m going to stay with the worship of Your Son, Jesus. He has no blots on His record.  And I am determined to never be satisfied to leave disaster for my kids and grandkids with a “Ho hum” attitude… thinking, “The ship is sinking, but I will escape.”  God, I pray for my sons, my grandkids and theirs… left on this sinking planet.  I pray for my spiritual children, too.  You know that I cannot leave this planet contented without the assurance of their faith solidly based in You for their eternal salvation.  Amen.   


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment