Saturday, September 12, 2015

And He is my Friend

Friday   9-11-15  (Monterey, California District Minister’s Retreat)

Scripture reading:  Dan 1-2     Rev. 16

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Dan 2:27-28 
NLT Daniel replied, "There are no wise men, enchanters, magicians, or fortune-tellers who can tell the king such things.  But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets, and he has shown King Nebuchadnezzar what will happen in the future.”


O.  King Nebuchadnezzar had threatened to kill all his best wise me and sooth-sayers if they couldn’t come up with a dream that he had “dreamed and forth-with forgotten” and interpret the meaning.  It was an impossible situation and Daniel and his three friends were considered wise men and got word that they were going to all be executed... in fact the executioner came to carry out the task.  Upon hearing the impossible demands of the king, Daniel went to God and pled for a miracle.   Daniel and his friends had a divine secret... “But there is a God in heaven.”  And although he doesn’t say it, he implies, “And He is my Friend.  God and I are well acquainted with each other.  We are close.”



A.  Now that is getting too scary.   I don’t want to have a powerful official knock on my door and tell me to follow him to my execution.   I too have trembled before life-threatening situations... although not so spectacular as Daniel’s... and had to rely on the glorious fact that “there is a God I heaven and He is my friend!”  Daniel made it clear that his God was not one of these little polished dolls on a shelf.  He was reigning in heaven... a position higher that that king’s throne.  In other words, “Oh King, I have heard from a higher authority than you and here is His message to you.”  About that time I think the king was sweating.



P.  Yes, Lord, You are in heaven.  You have the final authority over and above all the rulers of this earth.  Does this mean that You will rescue me from every evil scheme of the enemy?  It does not.  When I read the stories of some of Your most faithful servants in Hebrews chapter 11, how some were sawed in two and suffered much, I realize that You do not always promise to come to my rescue.  But You are my friend and You do promise to be with me until I come to the end of this earthly road.  And that is enough to carry me through!   Amen.



Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment