Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Looking back, how dark it was!

Wednesday   12-09-15  Home in Modesto 

Scripture reading:    1 Tim  5 – 6   Titus 1 - 3

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Titus 3:3-5  Once we, too, were foolish and disobedient. We were misled by others and became slaves to many wicked desires and evil pleasures. Our lives were full of evil and envy. We hated others, and they hated us.  But then God our Savior showed us his kindness and love.  He saved us, not because of the good things we did, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins and gave us a new life through the Holy Spirit.  NLT


O.  In his letters to Timothy and Titus, the Apostle Paul shows that he feels responsible for the lives of these, his helpers, younger minister that have been saved under his ministry and are now serving others.  Although Paul had been a Pharisee, living the Mosaic law to the letter, he includes himself as he describes their former lives and the lives of their converts.  “We, too, were foolish, disobedient, misled, slaves to wicked desires, evil pleasures, full of evil, envy and hatred.”  That is a pretty nasty list for a former fanatical Pharisee to admit. 


Before Paul was struck with the light of Christ, saved, filled with the Holy Spirit and called to ministry, he probably thought he was a pretty good guy, but now he looks back and includes himself in this list of evil deeds and thoughts. 


A.  I was 16 years old and in the mountain forest of eastern Oregon hunting deer with my father and his friends.  I was alone standing still with my faithful .30 .30 rifle in an area where I was hoping a buck might pass.  The sun set and it became darker, but it happened so slowly my eyes became accustomed and I could still see quite clearly.  I started hiking back toward the camp and my father came searching for me.  “Son, I was worried.  Why didn’t you come in earlier?  It is dark out here.  You could get lost.”  I insisted that I could still see well... until I finally stood warming at our bonfire... and after staring into the bright flames, I turned around and looked back and suddenly realized how dark it was.  Once I had seen the light, only then could I recognize in what extreme darkness I had been walking.    


Only after Paul had witnessed the brightness of Christ’s light... he could see how deep the darkness was in his previous highly religious life.


P.  Lord Jesus, I thank You that in Your mercy and grace you rescued me from the depths of a life of black, spiritual darkness and all kinds of evil.  Yes, I was just a little child when You found me and lifted me out of the miry clay.  And by so doing You saved me from that same long, dark list of evils that would certainly have been my life’s story.  Even, so I failed You so many times and so frequently found myself at Your feet again asking for forgiveness and cleansing.  Thank You for not throwing me in the trash can when I deserved it.  Your mercies and love still amaze me.  Amen.


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment