Saturday, January 16, 2016

And God says,“What’s that I smell?”

Saturday 1-16-16 (Home in Modesto, California)     

Scripture reading for today:    Gen 39 - 41     Luke 16

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Luke 16:14-15 Now the Pharisees, who were lovers of money, also heard all these things, and they derided Him. And He said to them, "You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God.  NKJV


Luke 16:14-15 The classy Pharisees jingled the silver coins in their pockets while listening to Jesus’ stories.  They made crude jokes about Him, snickering among themselves, mocking Him.  Jesus confronted them directly, “You guys look pretty good to your peers, but there is a God in heaven that can see what’s under your fancy robes.  He’s looking at your hearts.  While men applaud you... what God sees stinks.”  NUHV*


O.  Jesus did not take kindly to outward displays of religion... when He knew that under that façade they were stuck-up brats.


A.  But what about me?  I like to look good to my peers, too.  I haven’t even started to preach yet and the audience is applauding me.  I act cool and as humble as I know how... and tell them to be seated.  But what is God seeing under my pretty striped shirt.  Does He smell something nasty... like pride, for instance? 


P.  Savior, rescue me from the stench of religious pride as I stand before a small group or before thousands.  Protect me from the danger of working so diligently to look good before men while failing to be acceptable in Your sight.  That would be a tragedy.  May I fall at Your feet and never forget that if any event is going to really bring lasting fruit for Your kingdom, this grain of wheat has to hit the soil and die.  Amen.


Ralph

*New Unauthorized Hiatt Version


No comments:

Post a Comment