Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Holy Disturbance

Monday 2-27-17, Modesto, California
Today we read Num 21 – 23 and Mark 6 - 7
S = Scripture,  O = Observation,  A = Application,  P = Prayer,  SOAP for the soul.


S. Mark 6:20 And Herod respected John, knowing that he was a good and holy man, so he kept him under his protection. Herod was disturbed whenever he talked with John, but even so, he liked to listen to him. NLT

O. The ministry of John the Baptist had affected many Israelites. His fame as a fearless, outspoken preacher was shaking the area. Some spies reported to King Herod Antipas that this preacher was using him as an illustration of a bold, immoral sinner, who had stolen his own brother’s wife. Now the king’s woman goes into a rage. So, one day John is out there alongside the Jordan river, preaching his message of repentance from sin and here comes a troop of soldiers on horseback pushing through the crowd. John is arrested and thrown in prison. But Herod liked to call up this man of God now and then to listen to his message… even though it “disturbed” him.

A. Many authorities were captured by the messages of Billy Graham, giving him opportunity to be heard by top officials.  Without doubt his message “disturbed” many of them and hopefully some responded by humbling themselves before Christ. Others, that may have enjoyed hearing him, were doubtless “disturbed” by Holy Spirit conviction, but chose to push his message to one side and continue their godless lives. 

P. Lord, I am reminded that I can shake the preacher’s hand and say, “Great sermon today, pastor!” But if I have not responded to the “disturbance” of Your Holy Spirit, calling me to fall humbly before You, seeking Your mercy and Your soul cleansing, saving power to change my life, I am still lost. I may have only inoculated my own spirit to make it easier for me to hear and walk away untouched the next time. Oh God! I pray for divine, holy “disturbance” that will leave me flat on my face before You, crying out for mercy and grace… and for changes deep in my soul that will affect my attitudes and actions. And one more thing, Lord. Please send Your “holy disturbance” to lost sinners whenever I preach. Amen.

Ralph
Just as I am
By Charlotte Elliott
Just as I am, without one plea
But that Thy blood was shed for me
And that Thou bid'st me come to Thee
O Lamb of God, I come! I come
Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt
Fighting and fears within without
O Lamb of God, I come, I come
Just as I am, and waiting not
to rid my soul of one dark blot
to thee whose blood can cleanse each spot
O Lamb of God, I come, I come
Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind
Sight, riches, healing of the mind
Yea, all I need, in Thee to find
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!
Just as I am, Thou wilt receive
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve
Because Thy promise I believe
O Lamb of God, I come, I come





No comments:

Post a Comment