Thursday, March 2, 2017

Who is the king of the mountain?**

Thursday 3-2-17, Modesto, California
Today we read Num 30 – 31 and Mark 9
S = Scripture,  O = Observation,  A = Application,  P = Prayer,  SOAP for the soul.


S. Mark 9:33-37 They came to Capernaum. When he was in the house, he asked them, "What were you arguing about on the road?" But they kept quiet because on the way they had argued about who was the greatest. Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."  He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me." NIV

O. It was difficult to get the disciples alone with just Jesus. The Master has just clearly told them of His coming death and resurrection, but now they are arguing about which one of them should be their leader.  He calls them to Himself, sits down and says, “Boys, I noticed that are discussing leadership.” A little child now has now crowded in behind the twelve. Jesus beckons for him to come to Him. He feels no fear in approaching Jesus. Jesus first had him “stand among them”. He is not tall and strong like they are. He is just a little “nobody”… until Jesus lifts the little one and sits him on His knee. “Take a good look, boys, here is your model for leadership.” And one more thing, “Open your arms to a little guy, like this one, and you will have just opened your arms to Me. And if you open your arms to Me, you will have just opened your arms to God, the Father.”

A. So, how much time and effort, energy and money should I devote to little children, whose offerings only add up to one dollar on a good day? If I open my arms to show that little scamp some love and care, I have just opened my arms to welcome Jesus, into my embrace. Do I dare to risk popularity, fame and yes, money, to bring little children into a relationship with King Jesus? Maybe our Master’s eyes are focusing out behind that group of deacons that has gathered for instructions… Maybe He sees a little child that hasn’t a clue about what is going on. “Come here, little one. Sit on my knee for a minute. I want to make a leader out of you!”

P. Lord, we Americans are concerned about making good investments. Wall Street rises and falls. Our currency loses its buying power. And You are beckoning to a little child to lift up in Your tender arms. You are going to invest in a potential leader. Open my eyes Lord. Help me to see that little “nobody” that is looking on from the outside and make him or her to become one of Your very own. Amen.

Ralph
**When we were kids we played “king of the mountain”. We found a little hill and we would try to beat all the others to the top. We were the ‘king of the mountain” until some bigger kid pushed us off our “throne”. Hmm. We were learning about leadership. Leaders get pushed off by challengers. Oh dear!


No comments:

Post a Comment