Saturday, October 29, 2011

Back to Square One

Much of my life has been poured into what seem to be little insignificant open air meetings to help start new Assemblies of God churches.
I felt right at home last night as we gathered with Pastor Marcelo Villarreal’s dedicated “family-team” in front of their new little church building in Barrio La Bandera, La Rioja. We set up an open air service in an effort to win their neighbors to Jesus.


The Hawaiian guitar’s enchanting sound drifted across the landscape attracting the attention of interested youth.




As always, Perfume, the skunk and Felipe did their thing for the kids. Perfume was almost suffocated with love as hands reached out from all sides for the privilege of petting her.





Preaching Jesus came easy as these people sat in rapped attention.


At the altar call I picked up my old accordion and sang a translation of “There is Room at the Cross for You.” And they came, unashamed, maybe even eager… to meet Jesus at the foot of the cross.

In many places God has allowed me the privilege of returning to these locations after decades… to witness the incredible long-term fruit. What a Savior!

Early on while still in Bible School I made a feeble, flimsy, fumbling attempt to preach to the lost at “Victory Servicemen’s Center” in Longbeach, California. I knew I had failed miserably… and it was true. But that night 30 sailor boys knelt and wept through to salvation. That night changed my life… for suddenly I realized that even when the messenger’s delivery is a total failure, the “message” itself remains powerful to save.

I need your prayers as tonight I preach in another area in an open city park.

Ralph