Friday, May 15, 2015

Tuning up for Heaven

Thursday 5-14-15  (Lago Puelo, Argentina)
Scripture reading:     1 Chron 22-24    1 Thess 3


S.  1 Chron 23:4-5  Then David said, "Twenty-four thousand of them will supervise the work at the Temple of the LORD.  Six thousand are to serve as officials and judges.  Four thousand will work as gatekeepers, and another four thousand will praise the LORD with the musical instruments I have made." Vs 30  And each morning and evening they stood before the LORD to sing songs of thanks and praise to him.  NLT


O.  David was closing down his reign as king and turning over the kingdom to his son, Solomon.  But before stepping down he organized carefully thousands of people to participate in the building of the beautiful temple of the Lord.  There were many kinds of groups and activities.  One of these was comprised of 4,000 Levites set aside to praise the Lord with instruments that had been made under David’s supervision. 


Oh!  So, among other things, David designed, supervised and operated a musical instrument factory!  I think I learn something new from the Bible every day!


A.  If I had been there I would have wanted to be chosen to praise the Lord with a “David” brand instrument.  He no doubt had the finest carpenters, the best artisans in metals of all kinds… true artists in every field designing and producing a wide variety of stringed and wind instruments. 


I remember back many years ago when I was an associate pastor and working as bus driver for the school systems.  On a few occasions I drove the students to a convention center where music students gathered from many cities to form a huge band.  I’ll never forget the sound before the event started as hundreds of students were tuning up their instruments… violins, cellos, guitars, flutes, clarinets, trumpets, trombones, baritones, saxophones, tubas… and more.  The result was a single roar of unpleasant discord.  Then when they finally were ready, came a wonderful silence… and a single director raised his baton and actually produced genuine music out of that huge group.  They were children and adolescents.  It wasn’t a professional sound, but it was music to the ears of their parents and friends that were listening. 


Is Our Father listening to our music?  Does He cover His ears while we are tuning up?  Does He like the sound of our praise and worship?  Who are we singing to, anyway?  Most of us are not professionals. 


One thing is sure… God, Our Creator, is into music.  I used to ask Him if I could take my Hawaiian Steel guitar to heaven… and one day I think I heard Him say, “I’ve got something better for you.  Wait till you see it!  You’ll love it!”


P.  Lord, I wonder what it will be like to join with thousands of others in Your heaven to sing and play music for You.  I don’t ask You for a place to play a solo.  I don’t seek recognition or applause; I just want my music, my worship to be pleasing to Your ears, both here and in heaven.  May it say to You, “I love You, Lord!”  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment