Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Exactly 50 Years Ago!

It happened in May 1963, 50 years ago!  Frances and I were flying to the Assemblies of God headquarters in Springfield, Missouri for final missionary approval.  

 It had all started the previous year.  We were serving as pastors of the Assembly of God church in the little mountain town of Colfax, California.  We loved the location, the church and the people.  (Photo Main Street Colfax)
 
(Photo Colfax Assembly of God) In the spring of 1962 we organized our first mission convention and enjoyed receiving several missionary speakers that week.  On Thursday night Ruth Couchman, a tiny lady, came to us.  She was dynamite in a small package!  Among other things she said with authority, “I am asking God for five missionary couples to come to Argentina!”  That night I knelt at the altar and wept uncontrollably as I felt God calling me to Argentina.  

During the following weeks God reconfirmed that call over and again.  I was bursting with excitement, but my dear wife, Frances, felt no call and was troubled about leaving our church, her mother, brothers and sisters, and taking our three little sons out into an unknown future.  She struggled with this for three months, but finally signed the application papers and the process began.  I knew her well.  Once decided, she would never look back.


Now, one year after my call, we flew to Springfield to stand before the World Missions Committee, including Executive Director Phil Hogan and Field Director Mel Hodges, for approval or disapproval.  After dealing with my health issues, their first question to me was, “Ralph, how do you know that God is calling you to Argentina?”  With great enthusiasm I and told them how God had placed a burden for the lost in that nation.  Their second question was directed to my wife.  “Frances, how do you know that God has called you to Argentina?”  My heart hit the floor.  Frances was always totally transparent and I knew what she was going to say before she said it.  I heard her words, “God never called me to Argentina.”  I knew that was the end of the line, but Frances continued.  “I never was even called to be a pastor’s wife, but I married this guy and there can be no doubt that God has called him to Argentina.  And I believe that it is my place as his wife to go with him and stand behind his ministry wherever the Lord may lead him.”  I was watching the expressions on the faces of the committee members.  It looked like they were in shock.  They sent us out of the room and we waited for a long 20 minutes.  Finally Mel Hodges came out to talk with us.  He asked us, “Would you be willing to go to Chile instead of Argentina?  I was stunned by the question, but said, “We certainly would if that is the place of greatest need.”  “That is all I needed to hear,” he replied.  “You are approved to go to Argentina!”  


That was 50 years ago last month when this picture was taken.  Our three boys played ukuleles and sang in most of our services.  They could really sing and strum those ukes.

Fifty wonderful years!  
I tell you that there is nothing like the Assemblies of God World Missions organization!  Of course you know we retired six years ago when I was 75 years old.  But we could not get Argentina’s wonderful people out of our hearts and we returned to Argentina every time we could.   And almost immediately after the Lord Jesus carried Frances away to her heavenly home, God has called me again.  I have ministered throughout the entire country during these past almost three years.   Lord willing I will leave again for Argentina on October 2.  I already have my ticket.  

Although fully retired, I work under the leadership of Assemblies of God World Missions, alongside and in full cooperation with our Argentina missionary team… almost as if I was a full time missionary.  So here goes my 51st year with the AGWM!   Praise God for health and strength!

Ralph