Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hiking at Tuolumne Meadows

It was my 3 son's idea. 

Let's get together and do something fun!  So Mike (standing left of Michelle) flew down from Seattle and Ron (next to Mike) drove up from Santa Cruz.  Hiking is in our blood, so here we are... ready to head for Tuolumne Meadows at 8,900 ft. above sea level in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  


We stopped at a view point and Mike and Evan took off running.  I caught Evan in mid-air as he leaped to the top of a large rock.  

I wished I could do that!







Our first hike was to Ludens Lake only about a mile from the highway.  Many of the trees were enormous.  Such beauty was stunning!  

How long does it take a monkey to scamper up a tree?  About 5 seconds!

When we first moved to Cordoba, Argentina, our three little sons soon became famous, or was it infamous... for climbing trees. It must run in the family. Darwin must have been studying the Hiatt clan.  My brother and I always played high in the trees when we were kids. 



At lake's edge we found a log just long enough for six.







Tim carries his tripod and camera every-where.



"Reflections" taken from Tim's position across the lake.



Cheryl had decided to stay home, but as always the thoughtful one, she packed us a great picnic lunch; hamburger patties, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, pickles, delicious potato salad, chips, fruit and home made cookies.  


When we arrived at Tuolumne Meadows this tempting rock mountain called out "Climb me!"  We left Michelle resting in the car. 

Okay, I admit I was the last to arrive at the top. 


Leave it to Tim!  He lined us up on the mountain top. aimed his camera at us and yelled, "Jump!" 



Then he set his camera on ten second delay and ran up the mountain to get into the picture.  We tried it several times, but somebody, usually me, always jumped too early or too late.  

We laughed so hard we could barely jump any more.
What do you expect at 8,900 ft?  And 81 years?!



In all... it was great day enjoying one another's fellowship while taking in God's awesome scenery.

Ralph



1 comment:

  1. Hi Ralph,

    My name is Natasha and I work for a British TV company. I was hoping to speak to you about a plane crash video I believe you shot. You can email me at natasha.harris@betty.co.uk Thanks!

    ReplyDelete