Tuesday, September 24, 2013

No Photos Just a Word Picture

Hey,

You know I don’t do this often.  My journaling is really only for me.  But today I have been so broken by the Savior’s love for me, so overcome with flowing tears… I felt inclined to share these thoughts with you.  (Note: The text is taken from the Living Bible.  Each time I go through the Bible I try a different version.)

Tuesday 9-24-2013         

S. (Scripture)  Luke 7:44-48 Then he turned to the woman and said to Simon, "Look! See this woman kneeling here! When I entered your home, you didn't bother to offer me water to wash the dust from my feet, but she has washed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair.  You refused me the customary kiss of greeting, but she has kissed my feet again and again from the time I first came in.  You neglected the usual courtesy of olive oil to anoint my head, but she has covered my feet with rare perfume.  Therefore her sins-and they are many-are forgiven, for she loved me much; but one who is forgiven little, shows little love."  And he said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."

O. (Observation)  Awesome!  It is another picture of my wonderful Savior!  He had become famous for raising a widow’s son from his coffin and healing all kinds of diseases.  The general public was caught up in following Him around and passing on the stories of the wonders they saw.  Jesus was the talk of the town.  Although most of the Pharisees highly criticized Him and refused to believe in Him, a Pharisee named Simon invited him to dinner and Jesus and his group of disciples accepted.  But there was an unexpected guest that showed up… a woman of the street with a bad reputation.  Normally she would have never entered this Pharisee’s house, but now drawn by the love of Jesus she sneaked in and knelt at Jesus’ feet.

This was not her first time to see Jesus.  Without doubt this woman had been in the crowds and witnessed His love for lost and hopeless sinners like she was.  It was His love for people like her that drew her into unfamiliar territory.  She collapsed at His dusty feet, kissing them again and again and letting her tears of repentance fall upon them.  Now she lets down her long hair and is trying to dry His feet… and anointing them with expensive perfume. 

Where was Jesus looking all this time?  Was His focus on the wealthy religious man that had invited Him to his abundant table?  Was he caught up with the excellently prepared and elegantly served meal?  I don’t think so.  I think Jesus was looking down at this broken woman with deep compassion.  And in one sweeping moment He washes all her sins away, “Your sins are forgiven!”

A. (Application)  My Jesus was and still is in the forgiving business.  His attention and love for broken lives has never changed.  Weep, sinner!  Weep at His feet.  Let your tears of repentance flow like a river.  And so they come… decent sinners, alcoholics, drugs addicts… prostitutes and their clients alike… men and women, just like me, chained to the slavery of sin.  Yes here they come.  No, no… it is… here we come.  It is here I come.  I fall at His feet. 

Anyone else, but Jesus would have shoved that woman away in similar circumstances… right there in front of decent people.  Anyone else would have, at best, told her this was not the right moment… come back when I am just with my disciples.  You are embarrassing me.  You are humiliating me.  By accepting your love here before all these decent people, I am identifying myself with you… so please go away. 

Oh, but that’s not my Jesus.  He had come into this world for this fallen woman.  He had come into this world for a fallen sinner named Ralph.  He did not shove me away in disgust.  He opened his loving arms and lifted me into them.  Suddenly I knew that I was accepted by Someone Who loved me more deeply than a mother’s love.  I was astonished!  I was conquered forever by the love of God’s only Son Who received even me!


P. (Prayer)  And so I come again today and crash at Your feet, dear Jesus.  Yes, I know that I am not worthy of coming into the room where You sit at the table.  I am not worthy of interrupting Your heavenly feast today.  But I have been conquered by Your love.  I cannot stand outside, looking in.  I am pushed from behind, drawn forward by an invisible force.  Your love is a powerful magnet.  Oh for the privilege of just kissing the nail scars on Your feet!  I have no expensive perfume to offer You, only my tears… only my love for You, my Lord and Savior.  As I lie here crumpled on the floor… one more time I surrender to Your will and purpose for my life and I glory in the privilege of serving You any way and every way You choose.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment