Saturday, October 5, 2013

An Angel named “Milagros” (Spanish for “Miracles”)

It didn’t take many minutes upon arriving in Argentina Thursday before I faced my first challenge.  I discovered that somehow in my travels, probably in the San Francisco airport, I had lost my California driver’s license!

Since 2003, when my special Argentine truck driving license had expired, (special license to drive my 56 ft long truck with 5th wheel home attached) I have been legally driving here with my California valid license.  Now I found that I had no license to drive and had to get one quickly to begin my visits to many already confirmed preaching engagements.  I had intended to drive tomorrow the 450 miles to our Assemblies of God General Council week in the mountains of Cordoba.  Now I arranged to take a bus.  However after council I must have a valid driver’s license to begin my ministry.  So I contacted the equivalent of the DMV here and found that the first openings for appointments were in November and that once you start the process it takes a week to get the final product.  Not good!

So I needed a miracle.  I needed to begin the process Friday (yesterday) without an appointment.  Several brothers here at the church where I am staying gathered around me in a tight circle and asked God to provide the necessary “miracles” (“milagros” in Spanish) to get the process going and completed on time.  Shortly after this a pastor friend, that had been advised of my plight, called me.  He told me of a lady medical doctor in his church who used to work at the central DMV in Buenos Aires and was able and willing to help me.  Her name is “Milagros” (“Miracles”).  Ask God for “miracles” and what do you get?  “Miracles” with a capital M!

Milagros is acquainted with many of the staff at the very crowded DMV and helped me get immediate attention to get the process on its way.  In fact, my “personal angel” stayed with me for over two hours as I went through the hoops; eye exam (without glasses I was surprised to be able to read even the pin-point size numbers almost as clearly as the bigger ones), my hearing (again I was surprised to hear the ultra-high feeble tones in each ear), my medical exam (questions about my medical history and present meds) and my psychological exam (which consists of drawing copies of strange figures on a blank paper follow by an interview with a psychologist asking you “questions designed to be misunderstood”, or so it seemed… ha.)  They checked my past record (clean, praise the Lord), took my picture and on next Thursday I am scheduled to take a final written test and, if I pass (which I will), I’ll be able to walk out with the completed license in hand that afternoon.  

I will miss the final night at General Council in order to take the bus back to Buenos Aires.  But I can handle that if that gets me ready to legally drive again. 

My car is ready to go.  My personal mechanic’s name is Hugo.  He is another “angel” from the Lord.  During the past two weeks he had completely rebuilt the manual transmission which had run dry from a damaged seal caused by hitting a high rock on a very bad road… thoroughly checked out everything and even washed the car!  It looks and runs like brand new!

To see Hugo’s picture and remarkable story, just click on http://ralphhiatt.blogspot.com.ar/2012/02/hugo-hugo-who.html

What would I do without God’s wonderful angels?!

Ralph

PS. I will replace my California license upon my return in December.  No problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment