Monday, December 15, 2014

Down is Up and Up is Down

I share my today's devotional with you:

Monday 12-15-14 (Martinez)      James 1-5 

S.  James 4:10  When you bow down before the Lord and admit your dependence on him, he will lift you up and give you honor.  NLT

O.  Down is up and up is down.  If we bow down, humbling ourselves before the Lord, He will lift us up.  If we lift ourselves up as if we were something special, God will bring us down. 

A.  During the past 25 years in Argentina it became in “mode” to seek a touch from a man of God hoping to fall under the influence of the Holy Spirit.  So I have watched many, almost every person that came forward for prayer, fall “under the power.”  This seemed to gain momentum and thousands were seeking to just fall down under God’s power.  Doubtless this proved to be a blessing to many, yet after time it seemed to be approaching a ritual.  Everybody lined up.  Everybody fell down with catchers waiting behind each one to help them fall gently. 

Personally I find it more rewarding to get down low before my Lord on my own volition without Him having to knock me down.  If up is bad and down is good, why wait for a man of God to touch you with his powerful hand… sometimes even giving you a helpful shove?  Why not get down on your knees or even on your face before God and pour out your soul to Him?

P.  Oh, Lord my God, high and lifted up above all other majesties, help me to honor You by bowing low in Your holy presence… down… further down… prostrate before You.  Send Your Holy Spirit to search my heart for hidden, un-confessed sin… and there down before You let me pour out my soul in true repentance and total surrender to You.  On my face I will wait patiently before You.  And there I will sense the glory of Your forgiveness and cleansing!  

Then it will happen!  Soon I will feel Your tender, loving arms lifting me up… up… up… into the clouds of worship, far above the dark and dingy world of my problems and concerns. 


Your “high” is supremely higher than the imitation “highs” which Satan offers today’s youth through drugs and alcohol.  And from Your majestic heights You do not drop us into depression like drugs often do.  As we return to our world of tasks and problems You are there walking beside us!  You promise to never leave us or forsake us. 

Emmanuel, God with us!  The God of the universe steps down to walk with me!  Wow!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment