Sunday, May 1, 2011

Just for Missionaries

I could never… and still cannot just stand up and start talking without detailed preparation and sensing that I have a word from the Lord. Many times I spend long hours preparing and at the last moment I sense that this message which I worked so hard on is really for another time and place. Then the Master rescues me, taking me to some text or thought that better fits the situation. That’s what happened yesterday morning as I sat before our wonderful, dedicated missionary team here in Argentina. I had struggled several nights and long hours writing down ideas and organizing them… just for a 20 minute devotional. I had handwritten notes all ready. At the last minute I just couldn’t use them and had to take another text that kept invading my thoughts… actually several texts. The worst part is that now I don’t really have a written record of what I said. I always try to keep a record lest I repeat myself at some future date.

I’m trying to remember now as I write. Oh yes, I asked permission to lift a few words from the Bible out of their context. I normally would not do this, but felt the Lord would not be displeased. So I lifted from 2 Cor 5:14 just the words “For the love of Christ constraineth us…” (King James); “For Christ's love compels us…” (NIV) “Porque el amor de Cristo nos constriñe…” (Reina Valera) I talked about our motivation. Jesus clarified the motivation behind the Father sending His Son with John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave…” Jesus was compelled into this world by His Father’s love… driven to lay aside His divine glory and the splendor of heaven to become a missionary to stinking, rebellious sinners. He hung out with them… bringing the criticism of the religious crowd down upon Him. “This guy likes to hang around sinners!” (Luke 15:2) They may have mouthed the ancient proverb, “You can tell a man by the company he keeps.” Why did he sit at the table with nasty sinners? He loved them. That’s why. He was driven, compelled, constrained by His Father’s love. My God! Where would I be if He had stayed behind polished pulpits?

What drove us from our comfortable homes in the USA? What caused us to take our little kids and break into another culture and language? Why are we here in Argentina? Are we driven, compelled, constrained by the love of Christ to hang out with sinners? Are we more comfortable to do Starbucks with our companion missionaries or our best friend? The risen Christ shows us the scars on His hands and feet and says to us, like He did to His disciples, “In the same way that my Father sent me, so send I you”. Paul adds, “Let this same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus…”

Prayer: Jesus, shower your divine passion down upon us until we are compelled and constrained, driven by Your love into the depths of darkness to sit beside a lost sinner… not because we have to, but because we want to. Amen.


PS. Check out this unusual piece of art setting beside the road in the coastal city of Pinamar where we had our missionary meeting this past weekend. Bring it up close to see it better.
PPS.  I should be back in Modesto for a week or so on May 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment