Sunday, December 25, 2011

Where is the Line to See Jesus

I confess that my flow of tears kept me wiping my eyes during the Christmas Eve candle-light service. The chair alongside me where my darling Frances always sat, was vacant.

But I was cheered up by Christmas morning. There’s nothing like watching your own grandkids perform in the Christmas program. It’s worth coming home even if it means a 24 hour trip. 16 year old Michelle sang her first solo, “Where is the Line to See Jesus?” (See story and lyrics below) While Evan 14, played an obese Santa Claus receiving little kids on his lap in the mall.
And of course they finished up with children in costume doing the manger scene.
And as always, our son, Tim, is so inspiring as he leads the worship!

Oh yes, Felipe got into the act by telling his version of the Christmas story to the kids who sat on the floor on the platform. (Michelle was my helper.)
The service was capped off by a stirring message by Pastor Lance Lowell on “unreached expectations.” He started with several videos of disappointed and angry kids who didn’t get what they wanted for Christmas. They were tearing open their presents then in a tantrum, screaming, “That’s not what I wanted!” Then he reminded us how the promised Messiah, coming as a humble baby in a manger, did not meet the expectations of many Jews. They were expecting a powerful Victor to stamp out their political enemies, but this Victor triumphed over the enemy of our souls. They expected a worldwide kingdom to be established with the Jews in power. Instead King Jesus established a worldwide “spiritual Kingdom.” They were expecting a King that would aid the poor and stamp out the oppressor. Yes, He brought hope to the poor, but His battles were won against Satan, the “spiritual oppressor.”
Then Pastor Lance made it personal. We must each accept Him as the “promise fulfilled”. We must accept Him as our “personal Savior.” And we must “proclaim Him to all men.” Good stuff!
After church we shared a wonderful afternoon at Tim and Cheryl’s home, along with Cheryl’s extended family, opening presents and enjoying a delicious home cooked meal with turkey and ham and all the trimmings!
Tomorrow I will take Tim and Cheryl and the kids to the Rain Forrest Café in San Francisco where we will meet for lunch with Ron and Elisabet. Then later this week I plan to drive north to Portland, where, Lord willing, I will see Mike and Mary, and my three living siblings and the rest of my extended family in their regular January first reunion.

So… Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

Ralph

Song story and Lyrics: "Where's the Line to See Jesus?"

“While at the mall last year, my four year old grandson saw kids lined up excitedly to see Santa Claus. Having been taught as a toddler that Christmas is the holiday that Christians celebrate the birth of God's son; with the innocence of a child, he asked his mom, ‘Where's the line to see Jesus? If Christmas is Jesus' birthday, why don't we see Him more?’ As his grandpa, I was so happy that little Spencer understood the meaning of Christmas at such a tender age, and then the words for a song were jotted down in just a few minutes. The song was inspired by my grandson, and the message was inspired by my Savior. Out of the mouths of babes come profound truths that many adults can not understand. Hopefully Spencer's observation and our song will cause people to reflect on the love of Jesus, and the certainty that one day we will all stand in line to see Jesus. Merry Christmas everyone.”

(An Original Song)
Performed by father and daughter, Steve Haupt and Becky Kelley
Inspired by grandson, Spencer Reijgers
Written by Steve Haupt and Chris Loesch
The story behind the song, as told by Steve Haupt:


Lyrics

Christmas time was approaching,
Snow is starting to fall,
Shoppers choosing their presents,
People filling the mall.

Children waiting for Santa,
With excitement and glee,
A little boy tugged my sweater,
Looked up and asked me.

Where’s the line to see Jesus?
Is He here at the store?
It’s Christmas time, it’s His birthday.
Why don’t we see Him more?

Where’s the line to see Jesus?
He was born for me.
Santa Claus brought me presents.
But Christ gave His life for me.

As I stood in amazement,
At this message profound,
I looked down to thank him,
he was nowhere around.

Little boy at the mall,
Might as well have had wings,
As the tears filled my eyes,
but I heard him sing.

Where’s the line to see Jesus?
Is He here at the store?
It’s Christmas time, it’s His birthday.
Why don’t we see Him more?

Where’s the line to see Jesus?
He was born for me.
Santa Claus brought me presents.
But Christ gave His life for me.

In the blink of an eye,
at the sound of His trump,
We’ll all stand in line at His throne.
Every knee shall bow down,
every tongue will confess,
that Jesus Christ is Lord

Where’s the line to see Jesus?
Is He here at the store?
It’s Christmas time, it’s His birthday.
Why don’t we see Him more?

Where’s the line to see Jesus?
He was born for me.
Santa Claus brought me presents.
But Christ gave His life for me.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful story and a significant thought. The song should be posted on Utube if it isn't already there.
    David, NCA

    ReplyDelete