Monday, December 19, 2011

There is no place like Home

Last Tuesday I arrived back at my home in Modesto… a whole world away from Rooster Camp and the Island Church in Argentina. It is always good to come home to family, our church family and our children and grand children.
Saturday afternoon I drove our son, Tim, and his kids, Michelle 16 and Evan 14 out to Knights Ferry, a quaint old town hiding nestled down in a canyon alongside a beautiful river in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

A long covered bridge adds atmosphere alongside the ruins of an abandoned mill. It’s always a fun place to go hiking.

Evan squeezed through the bars at the old mill.


Evan and I climbed the rocks.


Michelle sat on in a high place to draw a picture of a tree. She excels in graphic arts and has quite a collection of her pictures.

As the sun was setting, Tim, who is an excellent and highly experienced photographer, moved about with his camera shooting unusual portraits...
one of me holding my camera taking a picture...
another of me with Evan on the porch of that old rock building, one into the sunset a silhouette of Michelle drawing that picture. The shots of both Evan and myself on the rocks. I shot the one of Tim and the kids (top) with my little pocket camera.

California is filled with interesting places to visit. You can go for a drive and visit lakes, rivers, the sea coast, high snow covered mountains, famous gold-rush towns, the incredible scenery of Yosemite Valley, forests of giant Sequoia trees, old steam engines and much more.

But the best place to visit is home… where you can sit down with your own family and friends and share experiences.

Ralph