Sunday, February 12, 2012

"Cut-Throat"

Well, that’s literally what happened. The surgeon had to cut open my throat and clear out an 80 to 90% blocked carotid artery. That happened one week ago, Monday, February 6 at Memorial Hospital in Modesto, CA.

As I was being discharged from the hospital on Wednesday, the nurse asked me if I would like to have a pneumonia shot and a flu shot as long as I was right there. I felt great, so I said, “Why not?” A few minutes later I had a shot in each shoulder.

Perhaps it wasn’t the best time to do the shots, though. The surgeon wanted me to call him if my temperature rose to 101 degrees or higher in case infection should set in. What I didn’t think of was that perhaps the flu and pneumonia shots could cause a rise in body temperature. So the first several nights at home I was fighting with flu symptoms and a fever. I watched it closely and it never reached 101 degrees, but came very close.

Final word: Now all is back to normal: temperature, heart rate, blood pressure… except my energy level which is rising every day. And except the ugly lump on the right side of my neck… which they promise me will eventually disappear.

The only reason that this blockage was discovered was the slight stroke I had Christmas Day. The hospital found it as they did all the necessary tests, scans and MRI. Otherwise I would have returned to Argentina with this blockage posing a possible threat to my health while there.

Thank you, Lord, for bringing about the series of miracle-events that caused this serious blockage to be discovered. It’s true: “We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Riding the wave of His blessing,

Ralph