Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sold for a Cooking Pot

Where do I start?  And when I get started, where do I stop? So much is happening that it is totally impossible to write about it all.  Today, November 16, is the 31st day that I have been hosting my nephew, Dan Hiatt and his wife, Nancy.  How grateful I am for this privilege of sharing my life with these dedicated servants of God... and allowing them to participate in this ministry.

Recently I have had no internet access to publish a blog.  Right now I am in a restaurant hoping to be able to publish this for you.  At the writing of my last blog “The Wall” we were in northern Argentina in a suburb of the city of Posadas.  That was Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013.  I'll just take up where I left off:

·      
Sunday, Oct 27, we took a little “taxi-boat” 30 minutes out on choppy waters to minister on Apipé Island on the border of Paraguay. 

·      

    
   
The congre-gation is accus-tomed to worshiping with just the sound of Pastor Vilma’s drum.  I added some notes and chords on the accordion. 



There Felipe goes again… flirting with the little girls!  



And you can see by their faces that they love it!



Dan’s sermon was well received by the beautiful little church.



Everyone walks to and from church on the island.  There are very few vehicles.  If you are planning to go several miles, you may choose to go on horseback.



Dan’s wife, Nancy is served lunch.  Sister Vilma pre-pared us a healthy meal with lots of fresh roasted meat and vegetables.  She is a nurse and has donated her time to the island clinic many years here, touching countless lives with the love of Jesus.  Trained as a surgeon’s aid, she has actually had to apply anesthesia and do minor emergency surgery.  Her minister husband passed away 3 years ago.  

Vilma has to be one of the sweetest, most cheerful ladies you could ever meet.  Her story is touching.  When she was 9 years old she was taken from her home in Paraguay by a “god-mother,” taken out of her country and sold to an Argentinean family in exchange for a cooking pot.  How’s that for building self-esteem!  She never saw her mother again for over 30 years! 


As we leave to carry our gear about a half mile to the port, Sister Vilma waves good-bye.  She will be retiring soon and a church on the mainland will be taking charge.  We may meet her next time in heaven.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment