Friday, November 29, 2013

The Barnabas Home

Whenever I read the book of Acts, I like brother Barnabas.  They tell me his name means “Son of Consolation” and that’s the kind of a guy he was.  I like him for at least three reasons:

1.       He believed in the true conversion of Saul of Tarsus’ before the apostles did.  They were afraid of this guy who had been wreaking havoc in the newly born Church of Jesus Christ.  Now he was claiming to be converted, but who could know if it wasn’t a trap?  Barnabas stood up for him and risked his future on it. 

2.       Until the two began their first missionary journey… it was always “Barnabas and Saul”. But Barnabas humbly surrendered his position of leadership. There-after it was always “Paul and Barnabas”.  Paul’s name now always came first.
 
3.       Years later when the Apostle Paul would not consider giving a "drop-out" a second chance, Barnabas stood up for John Mark and refused to deny this kid a new opportunity to prove his worthiness.  Again Barnabas risked his future on a novice.

For this and other reasons the name is “The Barnabas Home” (Bernabé in Spanish).  It is one of our AG rehab centers attached to Teen Challenge here in Argentina.  It was started years ago by Missionaries Don and Melba Exley.

Last Sunday two boys graduated from the 18 month program.  They stood in Exley’s great church and with deep emotion testified to their new life in Jesus Christ.  The congregation wept, followed by cheers, whistles and applause.  

On Monday I was invited to minister to the group at the Barnabas Home.  Here live some boys and men that had lost all hope, but are now making a new start in the arms of Jesus. 
I taught them a chorus about the love of God that took Jesus to the cross for them… and for me.  And I told them some stories about the power of God’s love, now working in us… power to penetrate and break through the hard crust of hatred and despair that often covers the unbeliever.  At the close, they were all down on their knees seeking God with all their hearts, some sobbing heavily.

I was about to leave when somebody suggested that they pray for me… and somebody else suggested that they make it a combined “prayer-hug”.  So I got squished by a “nine-guy-hug” complete with fervent prayer!  (Nine, because one had the camera.)  

And let me tell you that I left stronger than I had come!

Oh God, make me to be a Barnabas!

Ralph

See PS below:




PS. Last night, Tuesday Nov. 26, I preached to this full sanctuary at New Life Church in Merlo, a work that Frances and I, along with Argentine evangelist Juan Domingo Romero, started in 1977 with one girl that had been saved out of drugs and her friends, 12 hopeless addicts.  We had no Teen Challenge program yet in those days. But this developed into a 20 month every night tent meeting (except Mondays). Jose Pichuir, an ex-alcoholic became their pastor. 

Jose is now with Jesus and his very capable widow, Irma, who was mentored by Missionaries Dick and Sharen Ellis, continues in his place. Her son, Esteban, standing between us is preparing for ministry in River Platte Bible Institute. 

Many of those present last night shared that they were saved under the tent and introduced me to their adult children and grandchildren who now serve Jesus!  

Thank you Lord! Generations for Jesus!