Wednesday, July 23, 2014

It's Just a Stick

God spoke, “What is that you have in your hand?”  And the pastor answered. “Oh, this?  It’s just a stick.”   Exodus 4:2  (My paraphrase.)

I have never ceased to be astounded at how God can take us, flawed as we are, and use the “stick” we have in our hands to activate His miracles. 

Who could have imagined that a ventriloquist dummy could ever be a useful “stick” in a missionary’s hands?

In 1974 when we were planting a church in a ghetto area of Buenos Aires called La Boca, we had a young Bible School student named Dolly, helping us.  She was always ready to preach on the street corners and seemed a bit "too spiritual" for some of her peers, but she was a woman of prayer and obviously in touch with God.  Occasionally she would privately bring an important “word” to me.  
In a quick visit to the USA my ventriloquist brother in law, Monte Fast, also a minister, had donated his little dummy to me.  He had a different name and had painted red hair.  I renamed him "Felipe." 

The very first time I showed him to the children of our ghetto church, Dolly was present.  After the service she came up to me with that look in her eye.  I thought, “Oh!  Here comes another one!”  She declared, “God is going to use that dummy in a marvelous way!”  She was serious, but it sounded like a joke to me and I inadvertently burst out with laughter.

Only a few weeks later, Felipe, now had black hair, a mustache and was dressed as an Argentine 'gaucho' (cowboy).  I tried him out in Plaza Guemes, a crowded city park in a classy part of town.  After seeing the large group he attracted and the way they all stayed to hear me preach, I had to go back to Dolly and ask forgiveness for laughing at her “prophetic word.”  

Now, 40 years later, I am still often astounded by what God has accomplished with this "stick in my hand."  I repeatedly discover both men and women, who are now involved in powerful, effective ministry who testify that their first steps toward Christ were under "Felipe's ministry."  

Liliana, wife of Evangelist Dante Gebel, is one example:

She presented me to this crowd (below) of 80,000 youth last December, by telling how she as a little child, dedicated her life to God in a service with Felipe and me.  (Note: Her husband, Dante, was the speaker.  I only gave a brief testimony.)

On another occasion
in Southern California
Liliana Gebel poses
holding Felipe's hand
Many of these youth stood for 5 hours packed like sardines at this event.  Near the close of the service they are seen below praying fervently.   

So Hey!  Here's my point:  What is that you have in your hand?

Ralph

No comments: