Friday, July 11, 2014

Secrets of Ventriloquism

There are some hilarious stories surrounding the history and superstitions related to ventriloquism!  But in Argentina, a land where it has mostly been seen only on TV and that very seldom, I get all kinds of questions.  Frances used to stand next to me holding the suitcase.  A couple of times she was asked if she was doing the talking for Felipe.  Another time in Argentina I was doing a radio interview in a provincial capital city in the south when the MC asked me if it was true that ventriloquists are born with two stomachs. The guy was serious!  The word ventriloquism actually comes from the Latin, which is very similar to Spanish, and means “to speak from the stomach.”

One old man way out in the delta islands always asked me very seriously how Felipe was doing.  What am I going to say?  I am sure that he thought he was alive.

Rarely little kids, sometimes the most brilliant 3 or 4 year-olds, are frightened out of their wits and run away crying.  They are smart enough to know that that "thing" is a "thing" and as such should not be looking at them and talking.  Most little kids easily fantasize that he really is talking, but they know I am a vital part of the act. 

Felipe is always really nice to kids.  He doesn’t insult them, or embarrass them.  He gets his Bible stories all mixed up, but I correct him and hopefully the kids get the message.  The strange result is that kids identify me with Felipe.  He flirts with the little girls and tells them how cute they are.  Then after church little kids, boys and girls both, sometimes run up to me and wrap their arms around my legs and want me to bend down for a kiss on the cheek and they hang all over me.  I love it.  It’s wonderful!

Years ago we were in the USA doing itinerary and living in Santa Cruz next to the Bethany camp grounds.  I was asked to do a Felipe act every evening for a Kids Camp.  After a couple of days some of the bigger kids, 10 or 11 years old, started yelling, “We know who is talking.  You can’t fool us.”  

I decided to fix them good:  I had a little flat tape recorder and hid it in the suitcase.  I purchased a “continuous tape” that repeats itself every 45 seconds.  And I recorded on it the sound of Felipe screaming, “Let me out of here!  There’s a cockroach in here!” and several other similar outcries.  Then I put a hidden toggle switch on the outside of the suitcase to activate the recording.  

So the last night of the camp I had a little girl holding the suitcase for me as usual.  Felipe did his thing and as always resisted going back into his case.  So after his dialog, now with the little girl holding the case I finally got him to say his final good-byes to the kids.  The little girl was supposed to carry him over and place him beside the grand piano.  As I was zipping up the case I flipped the switch on and now as she was carrying the case away you could hear him screaming, “Let me out of here!  There’s a cockroach in here!”  She put him down quickly and hurried away.  But he kept on yelling stuff, like “I want a drink of water!”… and more.  I was finished with my part, so I walked over, picked up the suitcase and yelled at Felipe to be quiet as I said goodbye to the kids and walked out with both Felipe and me yelling at the same time to each other. 

But this gets better: Before returning to Argentina, I changed the tape to Spanish and kept the tape recorder in the case.  One day I had the Mission’s Area Director in the back seat of my car while driving through the streets of Buenos Aires.  I hit a pot-hole or something and it switched the tape on.  The Area Director said, “Ralph, you’re not going to believe this, but I think I hear Felipe yelling in the trunk of the car!”  I had to pull over, open the trunk and shut him off.  Of course I had to tell him.

I very seldom used this trick though, since it was really an overkill with my quite successful little show which I still use just before preaching.  

But the best one came when I was way out in the maze of canals and rivers of the Paraná Delta.  I had a young pastor with me for the first time enjoying the exciting ministry we had, and still have, out in this river wilderness.  Our Messenger of Peace boat had a storage area under the prow.  It was a crawl space where we kept the food supplies, my accordion, Felipe, etc.  We had arrived at one of the places where we were going to have a service.  I had tied up the stern to the dock and had climbed up on the dock.  The young pastor crawled into the storage space and was getting my accordion out.  There he was with his ear almost next to Felipe’s case when he inadvertently hit the hidden switch.  Felipe started yelling, “Let me out of here!  There’s a cockroach in here!”  This young pastor came out from the crawl space like he had been shot.  He looked up at me where I was standing grinning at him on the dock, twenty feet away.  Then he looked back at Felipe’s case, then back at me... as Felipe kept yelling.  Finally he said, “Man!  You are good at that!”  I jumped into the boat reached out and picked up Felipe’s case and flipped the toggle switch which was hardly visible.  I said, “Shut up, Felipe.”  And I never did tell him how I did it.  Well, he never asked!  Ha!  

And did I ever tell you about the lady in the Oakland airport that was running the security screener?  I always carry Felipe on, so he goes through the machine.  She stopped the belt and asked, “What in the world do you have in there?”  I told her that I was a ventriloquist and that was my dummy.  “Can you make him talk?”  she asked.  I said, “Only if you let me take him out of the case.”  Now the people behind were getting nervous, so she turned the machine over to another screener and came over.  “I’m due for a break and I want to see him and hear him talk,” she said.  So I pulled him out.  Now this lady was blonde and did not look anything like she might speak Spanish, but without me even realizing it, Felipe started right off talking to her in Spanish.  And behold, she really did speak Spanish.  So he said something and she answered him and now there was a little conversation going on with her and Felipe all in Spanish.  Suddenly Felipe said to her, in Spanish, of course... “The guy that is holding me in his hands doesn’t speak a word of Spanish.  He doesn’t even know what we are talking about.”  I had to interrupt the little liar.  I said, “Felipe, You know that isn’t true!”  And we all, including the bystanders, had a great laugh.  And, fact is, I am still laughing because the whole thing was Felipe’s idea… not mine. 

In all, Felipe has, for forty years now, been an interesting tool to attract people of all ages close enough to hear the preaching of the Gospel of God's love.  And that's what its all about.

Ralph

1 comment:

  1. I love it Ralph, it seems that I have known Felipe my whole life.

    ReplyDelete