Saturday, November 5, 2016

Digging for Treasures

Saturday 11-5-2016  La Lucila, Province of Buenos Aires    
Today we read Job 28 - 29 and Galations 1 – 2

S.  Job 28:1-4 "People know how to mine silver and refine gold.  They know how to dig iron from the earth and smelt copper from stone.  They know how to put light into darkness and explore the farthest, darkest regions of the earth as they search for ore.  They sink a mine shaft into the earth far from where anyone lives. They descend on ropes, swinging back and forth.” NLT

O.  Reading the book of Job (considered the oldest book in the Bible) gives me a peek into the ancient cultures of thousands of years ago. I am amazed at how so long ago men saw the value of diamonds, precious stones, gold and silver and actually risked their lives to mine these treasures from the bowels of the earth.

A.  But the message of Job’s book is not designed to show the value of gold and jewels alone.  He is proclaiming the value of true wisdom. It is not found in a study of geology or even theology.  Vs 23 God surely knows where it can be found, for he looks throughout the whole earth, under all the heavens. Vs 28 And this is what he says to all humanity: 'The fear of the Lord is true wisdom; to forsake evil is real understanding.' " NLT  I want to acquire that treasure.

P.  Lord God in Heaven, You are looking down from Your abiding place and take notice of me. That alone is an astounding truth.  But there is more: Your Book tells me that You not only see me, You love me… enough to send Your Son to die in my place and, in so doing, open the gates of Heaven for this unworthy sinner to approach You.  Your love, mercy and grace are my treasures… and maybe, when I am ushered into Your Heaven, I might get some wisdom, too.  Amen.

Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment