Saturday, November 5, 2016

He stands beside me

Thursday 10-27-16  Martínez, Argentina
Today we read: Job 18, Psalm 114 and Acts 27 -28

S.  Acts 27:21-26 No one had eaten for a long time. Finally, Paul called the crew together and said, "Men, you should have listened to me in the first place and not left Fair Havens. You would have avoided all this injury and loss. But take courage! None of you will lose your lives, even though the ship will go down.  For last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me, and he said, 'Don't be afraid, Paul, for you will surely stand trial before Caesar! What's more, God in his goodness has granted safety to everyone sailing with you.' So take courage! For I believe God. It will be just as he said. But we will be shipwrecked on an island." NLT

O.  Aboard a ship heading straight for total destruction, God’s prisoner, Paul, was not alone. There in the dark of night, tossed about like a cork in a raging hurricane wind, God sent a messenger to “stand beside Paul” and speak a word of assurance.  Everyone on that ship had lost all hope of survival… everyone except Paul. He had heard from God Himself and now he called the crew together. “Spread the word among everyone aboard. The ship will go down, but none of you will die.  So take heart and eat something. You will need the strength to swim to shore.”

A.  I have a Wonderful Friend Who has promised to stand beside me even in the worst of storms. He will never leave me nor forsake me. He will even give me assurance for “everyone sailing with me”.  When everything around me is in chaos, He whispers hope and assurance. His whisper is just loud enough to be heard in a hurricane.  And just to know that He stands beside me and you is enough!

P.  Dear Lord, today I am living the final years of my life within Your protection and care. You are allowing me to enjoy blessing upon blessing among dear friends. But soon the tempest may rise. Soon the waves may swamp my boat. Soon I may face that final earthly storm, but even then You will “stand beside me” with a word of assurance.  And even when this “ship” goes down to its grave, You will carry me safely into Your harbor.  Amen.

Ralph
The Haven of Rest
Henry L. Gilmore 1890

1.    My soul in sad exile was out on life’s sea,
So burdened with sin and distressed,
Till I heard a sweet voice, saying, “Make Me your choice”;
And I entered the “Haven of Rest”!
o   Refrain:
I’ve anchored my soul in the “Haven of Rest,”
I’ll sail the wide seas no more;
The tempest may sweep over wild, stormy, deep,
In Jesus I’m safe evermore.
2.    I yielded myself to His tender embrace,
In faith taking hold of the Word,
My fetters fell off, and I anchored my soul;
The “Haven of Rest” is my Lord.
3.    The song of my soul, since the Lord made me whole,
Has been the old story so blest,
Of Jesus, who’ll save whosoever will have
A home in the “Haven of Rest.”
4.    How precious the thought that we all may recline,
Like John, the beloved so blest,
On Jesus’ strong arm, where no tempest can harm,
Secure in the “Haven of Rest.”

5.    Oh, come to the Savior, He patiently waits
To save by His power divine;
Come, anchor your soul in the “Haven of Rest,”
And say, “My Beloved is mine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment