Monday, March 21, 2011

Mopping up the Tears

I’m having far too much fun for a man my age! God just blessed me with another wonderful weekend. Friday night I ministered in Neuquen in the last of the many churches planted in la Patagonia by the late Brother Pedro Sepulveda. His daughter, Maria, and her husband, Raul Bahamonde, now serve as pastors there. Like always after a blessed service we shared a home cooked meal and ministry stories late into the morning hours. Saturday I drove the 113 miles each way to and from the city of Zapala where I ministered to a packed church with Pastor Nestor and his wife, Veronica, a delightful young couple. Again we enjoyed eating together and talking into the night. I arrived back at my temporary apartment at 2 AM. 9:30 Sunday morning I was at Pastor Rufino Vera’s church in the city of Cipolletti. It is a large movie theater now purchased and transformed into a church sanctuary. At the altar call I asked the people to come and kneel to pray. The whole congregation responded in a long time of fervent prayer. Finally everyone had either returned to their seats or to the vestibule except this one fellow. Puddles of tears were obvious on the wooden floor. I just happened to accidentally catch this rare shot of a dear sister mopping up the tears while some were still falling.


Last night, Sunday, I drove the 28 miles each way to General Roca to a beautiful large new church building built by Pastor Mario Porcel and his congregation. God was there and once again many stayed in His presence on their knees for an extended period. After enjoying Argentine empanadas around midnight… now full of food and good fellowship, I made my way back to my apartment around 1:30 AM. This morning at 10 AM I found over 40 pastors and wives had showed up at the Cipolletti church for a specially called pastors meeting. See photo. I was given the pulpit to challenge them with a word from the Lord. Some of these pastors had driven or ridden a bus for over 100 miles at great sacrifice! God gave me some good stuff with ideas that I borrowed from General Supt. Dr. George Wood’s message at last year’s district council in Sacramento. “When the Spirit Speaks” (Thanks Brother Wood!) Once again the wooden floor was sprinkled with tears of sincere seeking saints.

Tomorrow and Wednesday I continue ministry in Villa Regina and in the large church here in Neuquen, planted by Missionary Steve Hill. Then I fly to Posadas in the extreme north of Argentina for a week of meetings… six meetings scheduled for this coming weekend, plus every night next week! What a privilege to be a retired missionary, held in the hollow of the Master’s hand! I just counted 29 preaching services since arriving in Argentina February 5… plus driving 4,428 miles on what may be some of the planet’s most challenging roads in Argentina’s deep south… la Patagonia. Incredible scenery!

It’s really true… I’m having far too much fun for a man my age!

Ralph

[More about this in the next blog, "Preserve That Mop!" March 22, 2011.]

No comments:

Post a Comment