Monday, June 11, 2012

A Hug for Jesus


A light bulb in the corner of the room was barely enough to see the letters on the page of the Bible. We were five adults and two little boys.  I had left my camera in the hotel room.  This wasn’t a scheduled service.  I had just dropped in to encourage Pastor and Mrs. BaƱay at their home in Ituzaingo, a small city beside the great Parana River. They happened to be serving the “Holy Supper” (as they call the "Holy Comunion" in Spanish) to a family that had been out of town the previous Sunday and had missed this blessed time.  As the pastor read the scripture, the presence of the Lord Jesus filled the kitchen of their humble cottage. Inside me... I was lamenting that I did not have my camera when I remembered I had my cell phone on my belt.  I tried to capture the moment without making a disturbance.  I prefer non-posed photos, but they noticed me and posed for the shot. The lighting was poor, the photo imperfect, but I just wanted to invite you to join with us around the table.  A plastic basket of broken bread was passed around and the common cup that you can see in the middle of the table was shared by all.  I played my accordion and we sang a hymn: “At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light and the burden of my heart rolled away.  It was there by faith I received my sight and now I am happy all the day.” (The Spanish lyrics are almost an exact translation.)  Jesus joined us at the table!  He doesn't need little plastic cups set in shining ware.  I believe He is right at home in the most humble of situations.

Later I brought in Felipe for the little boys. You never know how kids will react.  A few are frightened.  Most are delighted.  But these two little guys ran up to hug Felipe and I got in on the blessing. So often after the preaching and the altar time is over, I find myself talking to someone when I feel little arms wrapped around my legs really tight.  I look down to see some little girl or boy looking up at me.  I think they really want to hug Felipe and I kind of get in the way.  And little minds seem to realize that Felipe and I are somehow “one and the same.”

Have you hugged Jesus recently?  Try it.  I think God, the Father, gets in on the hug.
Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment