Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Jim, My "Kid" in Spearfish, SD

Last night at 1:30 AM I received an unexpected email message from a 70 year old man whom I barely remember… but he tells me that he is my “kid” and I am “his pastor.”  Hey, that captured my attention!

The following are excerpts from his letter:

I'm Jim ____ , I lived in Colfax Ca. back in 59-61.  I was *Mom Perry's "adopted" kid.  I went in the Navy at 17.  I would visit Mom Perry over the years.  She has long passed on and I still miss her.  I can't remember if you knew Brian "Chick" as we called him, Mom's son, he passed away from Lou Garrick's disease 8 Yrs. ago.  I miss him tear ably.  I still talk to his wife and kids along with his sisters. 

I wanted to let you know that I never forgot you and the kind things you did for me.  I still remember the time when I was walking up by the ole bus depot in Colfax, and you stopped the car, full of kids, and ask'd me if I would like to go along with you to the bowling alley in Auburn.  I said that I didn't have any money to go.  You stated that was OK,... and I did go with you and the other kids, and had a wonderful time. 

The other time I remember, was, when for some reason, Wes Scantlan and I entered the Church and you were there.  I have to confess that back then, I didn't really know the meaningful love our Lord gives us.  But Wes knew and was saved right then and there. 

Over the years I had been to just about all the Christian churches and never really understood the love our Lord gives us..... Until yesterday, Father’s Day. 

Below is the E-mail I sent to Chick’s wife Delores, (De) late last night around mid night:

I went to church yesterday at the Assembly of God, here in Spearfish, SD.  They welcomed me.  I told them I was Pastor Hiatt's kid from Colfax, Ca. They didn't seem to know about him... I told them that he was still in South America doing the Lord’s work. 

The Past​or gave out a paperback book called "MAN ALIVE" by Patrick Morley... A very nice Father's day gift, I thought.  After church I stop'd at my favorite Mex. Restaurant on the way home, had my favorite meal​... Got ready to go... a wonderful lady from a Blue Star Family (Military)​... Had paid for my meal because I had on my Veterans Hat.  Never in my life has anyone done that. It was overwhelming for me.
Some very damp eye's came next… another Father's day gift! 

At 9:00 I started reading the book the Pastor had given out..."MAN ALIVE" as a Father's day gift. I had read up to pg. 61 to the "The Prayer of Renewal".  Then the Lord and I had a very long, tearful talk.  I could feel the presence of Chick and Mom Perry were there,​ along with Pastor Hiatt, from Colfax... "They brought me home"... literally.

Now, I knew what Wes Scantlan's tears meant... when I watched him being saved so many years ago in Colfax.  Another Father's Day Gift!  Last night I had the best rest I ever had. 

I can't ​remember what Church you belong to, but tell them to get this book for the men... Chick would have loved this book.  Rest assured, that I will be reading a​nd studying it. 

(End of email to De.)

As I write this e-mail to you, Pastor Hiatt, my eye's tear up as I remember you and your wonderful wife, from what I understand, she also passed on.  I just wanted to let you know this before we pass on.  I'm 70 now, my body's falling apart faster than the VA can fix it.  My mental capacity is failing me also.  That's another story…

I pray this e-mail reaches you intact. 

May our Lord be with you!  One of your Kids,

Jim _______


* (Mom Perry was a member of our Colfax Assembly of God.)

No comments:

Post a Comment