Monday, September 8, 2014

Yesterday in Colfax, California

You are lookin' at the genuine old west.  Frances and I and our three little boys served as senior pastors here from 1960 to 1963.  

Main Street hasn't changed much.  Colfax is an old railroad town. 


The main railroad from Sacramento over the Sierra Nevada Mountains runs right through the heart of town.  Here comes one now, starting to climb from Colfax's elevation of 2,400 feet to 7,000 feet above sea-level heading for Nevada.  That's the old Colfax Hotel hiding behind a tree just across the tracks. 

Pastor Don Hall invited me and all previous pastors to attend their 75th Anniversary of the Colfax Assembly of God this past weekend!

Saturday was an outdoor event between Main Street and the railroad tracks.  The Colfax Assembly did it up big! There were inflated jump-houses and many other attractions for youth and children.  

There was lots of music.  The youth of the church did some drama. This was "The Bird in a Cage" skit.  Powerful message!



This little rising star volunteered a song, but, too bad, with a fake mike.  Her name is Brookie.

I did a little thing with Perfume and Felipe for the kids in the bright sun of late afternoon... 
and preached for the youth and adults that could handle the sun in their face.


Then I invited Jim McIntire to share.  Jim knew me as his pastor when he was a teenager, but just gave his life to Jesus only 3 months ago on Father's Day.  He drove 1,300 miles each way from South Dakota in his 20 year old Buick which he calls, "The Sponge", just for this occasion and to be able to share his new-found joy in Jesus!  His face and testimony just radiate the joy of Jesus!  See his conversion story by clicking on my June blog: http://ralphhiatt.blogspot.com/2014/06/jim-my-kid-in-spearfish-sd.html

Pastor Don Hall also gave his testimony of being saved as a teenager already involved in a life of crime and drugs.  He has worked for many years with Teen Challenge.  In the 70s he even visited us in Argentina helping us to set up our Teen Challenge rehab program there.

Sunday started at 10 to 11:30 with a well prepared program of worship, drama, a video from national superintendent Dr. George Wood and several powerful testimonies.  We enjoyed a dinner at 12 noon followed by a final closing ceremony.  

One of the highlights for me was to see Ricky Kauffman.  He had driven up from Sacramento for this Sunday event.  I rushed to give him a hug.  Later during a break in the service, Ricky told me that he kept looking at the door on the left side of the platform.  So when we had a break we stood in front of that door for a picture.  What is so special about that door?  

Ricky, son of the Chevrolet dealer in town, was 17 years old and sitting in the back of the church one Sunday night with two of his friends, Morris and Wes.  I had been praying for Ricky since visiting the Sheriff's office and being shown a card file with his name on it... over a year earlier.  Right in a serious moment of the altar call that night one of the boys cracked a joke and all three burst out laughing out-loud.  They immediately ran out and we all heard Ricky's car screeching away.  I think everyone in the church rushed to the altar to pray for those boys.  After about 40 minutes, I was seated at the piano playing softly while others were still praying.  Suddenly Morris came in and came straight to me at the piano.  He said, "Pastor, Ricky is out in his car and he wants to get saved right now."  I answered, "Tell him to come in."  

When I saw him I realized that he was trembling and took him into my tiny office behind that door.  I asked him to kneel down at a chair.  I don't know how long we prayed that night, but Ricky's desperate prayer was heard in heaven.  I knew it because his face showed it. He did not know about his change of countenance, but he knew he was saved.  We talked a while.  In the meantime the sanctuary had been vacated.  Only Morris and Wes were left, sitting near the back.  When the new Ricky stepped outside that door onto the platform... as I recall, both the boys in the back saw the notable difference on Ricky's face and were so shocked they stood up.  I said, "I think God wants to make it three tonight instead of one."  Both of them joined us kneeling at the altar.  I don't know where Wes and Morris are today.  But Ricky, like many of us, has had his struggles, but he knows what happened behind that door.  And today I understand his children and grandchildren are all serving the Lord!  Praise God!


Donny Walker, standing with me, was a little boy who had suffered a crippling disease as a small child.  He came to church with his sisters.  (2 of them were with him yesterday.) He testified how we prayed for him and how astounded the doctors were at God's miracle.  He projected pictures of him with his clumsy metal brace from the hip down on his formerly underdeveloped left leg.  The doctors removed the brace and found both legs the same length!  He has spent much of his life traveling throughout many countries preaching and witnessing God perform marvelous miracles of healing! 



Pastor Hall honored me with a beautiful certificate and gift.  Near where my feet are standing is where I knelt at the altar when God called me to Argentina over 50 years ago.  I'll be back in Argentina, Lord willing, September 23 ministering until Christmas time.  Oh!  How good God is!


Frances and I served the second pastors of Colfax AG church.  The first pastor, Brother Haddock, has long since gone on to glory. There have been other pastors that could not be reached, but the former pastors that were at this celebration: (left to right) interim pastors Paula and Ken Geer, Patti and Don Hall, Julie and Stan Koon (behind) and myself.

Ralph