Saturday, November 8, 2014

Everyday with Jesus...

I wrote this last week, but had no time to add the pictures and send it until today.

It is certainly true that I am having far too much “fun” to call this “work.”  When a person gets old he is supposed lay down his tools and go fishing.  And if he likes to hunt deer he spends deer season hiking through the woods seeking a nice deer and sitting by the campfire.  If he prefers to work in his garden, he does that.  If he likes to sit on the porch in his rocking chair and watch the sun go down that’s what he does.  They call this “retirement.” And if he happens to love what he has been doing all his life… then that is what he gets to do as long as breath and strength permit.  So I can truly say that I am just as “retired” as that other old geezer that is sitting on his porch in his rocking chair… but I have an added blessing.  I have the joy of touching many lives.  I get to preach every day of the week at least once.   We used to sing a chorus when I was a kid:  “Every day with Jesus is sweeter than the day before…”  And it is really true! 

Saturday October 25: Let me tell you about a fine clean-looking teenage boy who patiently waited for me for about an hour while I prayed with practically everyone in the church, did the hugs and kisses thing and posed with cute chicks and elderly ladies for several dozen pictures.  I didn’t even notice him until then.  He may not have even been in the service at all.  When no one was left he approached me and pulled me to one side alone and whispered to me these tragic words: “I am a drug addict.”  I asked him for his name and his age.  Emanuel is 15.  He told me that he was in the grip of cigarettes, marijuana and a series of types of pills that kids take here.  I asked him if he had surrendered his life to Jesus.  He had not.  “Do you want to do that now?”  “Yes.”  We prayed together as we held one another in an embrace.  I felt as though he belonged to my family, but was helplessly lost and surrounded by wicked lions seeking to devour him.  Our nearest Teen Challenge program is almost a thousand miles from here.  He wants out of his addiction.  Would you join me in prayer for Emanuel?  He has the benefit of a great caring pastor, Emilio Carrizo, here in this humble neighborhood.

Sunday October 26: An 8 year old boy took me aside after all the greetings and prayer was over.  He said he wanted to talk to me in private. I took him to a place up near the platform.  He told me that his daddy had separated from his mother several months ago… His desperate heart broke right there in my arms.  He wept heavily with tears pouring from big round eyes.  As we were praying and both weeping I felt something.  It was his little brother who had sneaked up on us.  He slipped into the mix with his arms tightly around my middle and joined his big brother sobbing bitterly.  What can I say?  What can I pray?  They had only one request.  “Pray for my daddy to come back home!”  Oh God, please bend the rules and apply your love, mercy and grace to drag that man out of his sin into a relationship with You and into the arms of two terrified little boys! 
  
Sunday October 26: Evening service: A young teenage girl grabbed me and hugged me to her with all her might.  She was sobbing with emotion.  I was unable to understand what she was saying through her sobs, but Jesus knows and I prayed for her.  


Another teenage girl slipped up and joined in the prayer-hug.  Afterward they wanted a picture. 

Still another girl held me and prayed a powerful prayer of God’s strength, blessing and protection over me.  I could practically feel the flow of love and strength pouring into my tired, ragged frame.  I was nearing exhaustion, but I was being lifted, strengthened and blessed beyond measure by little people with great big hearts. 


October 27:  I have ministered in seven services in the last 4 days, including special services for children that are wonderful, but much more exhausting than ministering to adults.  

Two back to back evening services tonight, Monday… one with the little people at 7 PM (a wild bunch to be sure) and another for Pastor Emilio Carrizo’s team of 20 lay workers.  I resurrected an old chorus “Enciéndeme con brazas de tu altar.  Enséñame a amarte más y más.  Atraeme, Señor Jesús a tí.  Enseñame a conocerte a tí.”   Translation: “Set me aflame with coals from off the altar.  Teach me to love You more and more.  Draw me to Yourself, Lord Jesus.  Teach me to truly know You.” 

My text was “Did not our hearts burn within us as He walked with us in the way!…”  Luke 24.  Lord Jesus, we need burning hearts.  Set us on fire for You! 

Tuesday October 28:  I ministered in a new little AG church only a year old with pastors Jose and Betty Martinez.  I was surprised and thrilled to see Emanuel again.  His church is far away from here.  His pastor, Emilio Carrizo, had brought him on the back of his motorcycle at his request to see me again.  He wanted to tell me that he just completed three days of his new life in Christ with no cigarettes and no drugs!  I feel that God has his hand upon Emanuel.  Who knows what God can do with him!

I was just beginning my message at 10 PM when we were plunged into darkness.  Fortunately I had chosen to use my little battery powered amp for my mike, so I kept right on preaching.  Several people used their cell phone lights to light me up.  Oh what dear people!  And how God blessed us! 

Heaven has got to be really great to be better than this!  

I’ve got to hurry now about 40 miles down a rough gravel road to a little town called Chuscha where they will be celebrating “Family Day” at the elementary public school.  I will be eating lunch with them, then ministering to parents and staff and about 300 students.  Later this evening I will minister at the local AG church. 


Talk about opportunities to share the message of Jesus!  WOW!

Ralph

(Pictures taken at the public school)


No comments:

Post a Comment