Saturday, November 5, 2016

I’m just a nobody with a good Friend

Monday 10-31-2016  Martinez, Province of Buenos Aires    
Today we read Job 22 and Mark 7 – 8

S.  Mark 8:11-13 When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had arrived, they came to argue with him. Testing him to see if he was from God, they demanded, "Give us a miraculous sign from heaven to prove yourself." When he heard this, he sighed deeply and said, "Why do you people keep demanding a miraculous sign? I assure you, I will not give this generation any such sign."  So he got back into the boat and left them, and he crossed to the other side of the lake. NLT

O.  Jesus obviously was not into doing magic tricks to impress the public with His powers.  He had compassion on the sick and healed them and He multiplied food when the huge crowd was hungry.  He responded with love and care in emergencies, but… although he had just arrived by boat to bless this area with His presence, he got right back into the boat and left them. 

A.  I confess that I do not have an astonishing ministry like my friend, Carlos Annacondia, revealing obvious miracles almost every day. But I know this brother.  He gives all the glory to Jesus and maintains a humble attitude.  Early in my ministry, after a service in a small church in Auburn, California, when most of the people had left, a blind lady called to me and asked me to come to her.  I did and she wanted me to pray for her eyes to see. I confess that my faith was very low, but I prayed for her eyes and immediately turned to leave her. But she called me back, “I can see!  I can see! Hand me that Bible… and she started reading it.” And inside I was saying, “Okay, God, I certainly didn’t do this… You did!” 

P.  Lord, You sometimes still respond to my prayers and do wonderful miracles in spite of my fragile faith. But then You keep me humble by not responding to someone else’s need, that, if healed, would make powerful advertising for my fame.  Jesus, You are so loving!  You know I might start thinking that I was somebody special.  I might start letting people call me ‘prophet’ or ‘apostle’ and I might start believing them and get pushed down “Shipwreck Street”.  So, I thank You for keeping me where I belong… just a nobody with a wonderful Friend called Jesus the Christ.

Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment