Saturday, November 5, 2016

Who’s that ringing my doorbell?

Monday 11-1-2016  Martinez, Province of Buenos Aires    
Today we read Psalm 121 and Mark 9 – 10

S.  Mark 9:36-37 Then he put a little child among them. Taking the child in his arms, he said to them, "Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes my Father who sent me." NLT

O.  Last night your doorbell rang and some strange looking little goblins and ghosts were standing there. 
Jesus’ group of disciples was very busy, trying to sort out which among them should be the boss.  James and John secretly asked Jesus to let them sit, one on each side of His throne in His kingdom.  Jesus was on His way to the cross.  His sober words announced that torture, death and resurrection that lay ahead of Him only days away, but they were all consumed with their own importance… much less, little children.

A.  William C. Morris (1864 – 1932) was an Anglican missionary to Argentina who welcomed little children, educated them, founded schools, homes for orphans and philanthropic organizations to help needy children.  I cannot do the same wonderful things he did for children, but I do open my arms and welcome them and I feel highly honored when they come running into my arms or to hug my legs even while I am dealing with “important” adults.  Little kids don’t ask for permission. They interrupt “important” conversations. Will he or she be rebuked and kicked aside… or welcomed?

P.  Lord, You know us so well. We all seem to give priority to “important” people, famous actors and actresses, musicians, the wealthy and politically powerful people.  Who is that ringing my doorbell?  Oh, it’s just the little kid from down the street.  Or maybe… oh, it’s the city mayor!  Clean up the room and invite him in!  Oh, Jesus, help me to welcome that little humble child and, in so doing, welcome You and Your Wonderful, Heavenly Father.  Amen.

Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment