Saturday, November 5, 2016

Scum Party

Friday 10-28-16  Martínez, Argentina
Today we read: Job 19 and Mark 1 – 2

S.  Mark 2:15-17 That night Levi invited Jesus and his disciples to be his dinner guests, along with his fellow tax collectors and many other notorious sinners. (There were many people of this kind among the crowds that followed Jesus.) But when some of the teachers of religious law who were Pharisees saw him eating with people like that, they said to his disciples, "Why does he eat with such scum?" When Jesus heard this, he told them, "Healthy people don't need a doctor — sick people do. I have come to call sinners, not those who think they are already good enough." NLT

O.  The religious elite were disgusted at Jesus who chose to eat with nasty sinners… instead nice clean “holy” sinners like them.  A religious teacher should not hang around that kind of scum.

A.  It seemed unthinkable that a Bible preacher should lower Himself to eat with “notorious sinners”.  Who was at the table with Jesus that day? The bad guys!  If not Barrabas, some of his kind. But just look at Jesus, he is hugging them and laughing with them. I think He is actually enjoying Himself! The religious elite repelled such scum. But a pure, holy Jesus was so loving that He attracted the worse kind. No, I don’t think Jesus laughed at their crude, dirty jokes. Instead His presence brought health and true joy to the party. Who do I attract?  And who do I repel?
 
P.  Lord, I confess that I usually hang out with fellow Christians.  We discuss You and the wonderful things You have done.  But You know I have a good friend who claims to be an atheist that invites me out to lunch every few months. He is a good man. He is not like the “scum” at Jesus’ party at all. I always enjoy myself. He is my friend.  I pray at our table and ask My Wonderful Lord to bless him. I invite Jesus to sit at our table with us. Jesus comes to reach out His love.  He doesn’t dominate the conversation. Instead He just silently tugs away at my friend’s tender heart. The Master is offering him a brand new start in life, free of charge. Jesus, please do your effective work. I hope to see my friend in heaven someday.


Ralph 

No comments:

Post a Comment