Saturday, November 5, 2016

Surely this man was from outer space!

Friday 11-4-2016  Martinez, Province of Buenos Aires    
Today we read Job 26 - 27 and Mark 15 – 16

S.  Mark 15:39 When the Roman officer who stood facing him saw how he had died, he exclaimed, "Truly, this was the Son of God!" NLT

O.  A Roman officer was in charge of the execution.  Doubtless he had witnessed similar scenes over and again.  But something was different about this Man. He was not cursing his mockers and the soldiers that nailed Him hands and feet to that wood.  Instead he heard Jesus defend his enemies, pleading for the Heavenly Father to forgive them.  He probably was close enough to see and hear Jesus prepare for His mother’s future.  This was no ordinary crucifixion. Something was different about this “King”.  He even died as a king.  And this military sergeant on duty suddenly something more that regal in Him.  His own disciples ran away and hid, but he saw something more than his own disciples in that moment.

A.  When I look at the cross, I see God pleading for me, an unworthy sinner.  “Father forgive him.  I am paying the price for his redemption.  Release him and let him go free.”  He gives me freedom that I do not deserve.  He gives me a future, filled with hope and blessing.

P.  Lord Jesus, most of Your friends fled the scene when You were dying.  Would I have stayed by Your side?  Would I have recognized that You were dying there in my place?  I doubt it.  I might have run for my life, too.  Today I have the New Testament, complete with a ‘four dimensional’ view in the four gospel accounts.  Today I do not have to run away and hide my identification.  I can stand on a busy corner and sing glory to Your name.  My life is in Your hands.

Ralph                             







No comments:

Post a Comment