Monday, February 14, 2011

Am I having fun yet?

Here is just a short run-down of what the Lord has been doing this past week. Last Thursday I ministered in a relatively new church in the little “Welsh” town of Gaiman. I call it a “Welsh” town because it, like all the cities in this small valley, was originally established by Welsh Christians that came to the “new world” back in the 1800s and early 1900s for a fresh start. Now their Christian influence has faded and many non-Welsh live in this pretty valley. The Welsh created beautiful orchards where once there was desert by using irrigation canals powered by the river current. Several years ago the Assemblies of God purchased a 20 acre apple orchard and has built the Patagonian Bible Institute (PBI)… our southernmost Bible Institute in the world. We had a great service in the new little Gaiman church. The pastors are graduates of PBI.

Then Friday I drove 300 more miles south to Comodoro Rivadavia a windy city on the Atlantic coast. Saturday night I ministered at one of our several AG churches here. At about 11 PM after a powerful time of prayer with many youth on the floor seeking God’s will, I had packed up all my gear and was ready to leave for my hotel. But a small group of young people had formed a circle of chairs and begged me to share with them about how God had called me into ministry. I couldn’t turn that down and enjoyed another hour of ministry and prayer with these beautiful young servants of God. They were so sweet and receptive and full of questions! Finally I asked them to let me take their picture for my friends back in the USA. They ran and got the Argentine flag and… behold… there we are!

This Sunday morning I preached in another AG church in this big seacoast city. Again at the close of that service the entire front of the church was wall to wall with mostly youth pouring out their hearts to the Lord.

Then I called and invited Roberto and Veronica, young pioneer pastors on neighboring Laprida, to join me for Sunday dinner at a classy restaurant overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Roberto and Veronica had sold their only car in order to pay down on a lot for their new church and then sacrificed everything to get the walls up. But there is no roof and cold winter is coming in May and June. So this afternoon I surprised them with a $4,000 US dollar donation from our generous Share Holders.** They could hardly believe it! That will complete the roof for them! Last night I preached to their new “baby church” in an ugly rented hall. With God’s help they’ll soon have their own building!

Am I having fun yet? You better believe it! Tomorrow I head 50 miles south on the coast to visit another pastor couple in Caleta Olivia, then on 200 more miles to San Julian where I am scheduled to preach on Tuesday. Make a note of it! I am not preaching Monday. I am taking a day for “rest” (and about 300 miles of travel...ha!).
(Left: Small PK storing the chairs after church)


Ralph Hiatt

**Our “Share Holders” are not monthly supporters. They are people who have committed to send an offering, small or large, to our AGWM missionary account for approved missions projects… and also to pray for the success of that project. My agreement is to never send out more than four “Share Calls” per year. If you should wish to become one of the Hiatt ministry “Share Holders” just send me your request along with your mailing address.