Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Uttermost… Best Lamb Chops… and “Chance” Meeting

[Photo left: Magellan Straits Ferry plus teeter totter and slide]

I have been privileged to minister in different places almost every day of the week except when driving great distances. At the close of each service, almost the entire church has spent a long time kneeling in earnest prayer, usually ending around 11:30 PM or midnight. When closing I have recently been asking the folks to gather around me, lay hands on me and send me out with a fresh touch of heaven on my life. Some have promised to continue praying for me. The result is that I have an ever increasing number of intercessors standing with me, both you in the USA and many in Argentina.

[Photo below: Tierra del Fuego Mountain Pass in Summer]
Last Saturday I drove south to the Magellan Straits and took the ferry across to Tierra del Fuego.
You can’t get any more uttermost than this! The city of Ushuaia, if you’re reaching out from Jerusalem, is possibly the farthest populated point on the earth. Jesus said, “… You will be my witnesses… unto the uttermost part of the earth.” (Acts 1:8) What a move of God we enjoyed there last night! I want you to know I can’t take credit for this. It is a God thing.Sunday morning I ministered in Rio Grande, then drove the mountain pass across to the southern tip of the island to minister in Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world (see photo, left). In both those services God just swept us away with His deep work in our hearts. What glory! Little kids, youth and old timers alike were on their knees doing business with God for an extended time. After every evening service I have been getting back to the hotel around 2 AM. It is late summer here near the Antarctic and the days are long with the sun setting around 10:30 PM.

On my way back across the pass I stopped at the quaint little mountain town of Tolhuin. I had previously arranged to meet with Juan and Maria Malvicino, friends from long ago. They used to live in Buenos Aires and now have purchased a little rustic cabin and moved here to escape the big city. They served me the best tasting lamb chops I have ever had as we recounted past experiences. They tell me that the snow gets pretty deep here in winter. Frances and I have been in this area years ago when it even snowed in the summer time.

Then this afternoon I drove on to Rio Grande to find a hotel for the night. I got out of my car and a man on the sidewalk looked hard at me and said. “You are Rafael!” “It is true,” I replied. It was Jesus Rubio who was drawn to Christ during our 20 month long tent crusade in Merlo on the outskirts of Buenos Aires 33 years ago! Now here over 1,500 miles from Merlo, we meet again “by chance” on the street! I don’t think so. God is in it. We had a prayer meeting right there and then on the sidewalk. I invited him to bring his wife and daughter for dinner in a restaurant this evening at 9 PM. We enjoyed a wonderful time of reminiscing and rejoicing.

[Below: Magellan Straits Lighthouse]
Tomorrow I’ll take the ferry back across the Magellan Straits. It is a tiring trip since the ferry crossing is in Chile and one has to wait in long lines to go though immigration and customs going out of Argentina, then again going into Chile, then drive for hours on a rough gravel road, cross on the ferry and, then go through the whole process again going out of Chile into Argentina… up to a possible total of three hours of waiting in lines, etc… plus hard driving conditions. So far the angels of the Lord have been watching over me every kilometer of the way. I am scheduled to preach in another church in Rio Gallegos on Wednesday night. This coming weekend, Lord willing, I’ll be ministering near what may be the most spectacular glacier in the world, the Perito Moreno.

Thanks for your prayers on my behalf. They really make a difference.

Buenas noches!

Ralph (Rafael) Hiatt

No comments:

Post a Comment