Wednesday, July 20, 2011

God’s Creative Art: Beautiful People and a “Blue Torch”

Last Sunday and again this morning I had the privilege of filling in for Chaplain Jim Hill at the Bethel Retirement Home in Modesto. It is a charming facility with two separate units; one for the elderly who are self sufficient called the “Independent” unit and the other for those that need “Assisted Living”.

My good friend, Dan Middleton, helped me in the two services (one for each unit) on Sunday and again both services today, Wednesday. On Sunday I revived my Hawaiian guitar (lap steel guitar) and Dan accompanied me on the acoustic Spanish guitar. After a fun time of singing, I pulled out Felipe who told a Bible story. Then I preached a short message. The people seemed to really enjoy the music, the worship, Felipe’s antics and the "Word."
Today, Wednesday, just for variety, I took my accordion. This time we sang a medley of ancient choruses, the ones we used to sing when Frances and I were teenage kids. Dan helped me lead the singing since my voice is still very weak. Today he accompanied me on the piano, which he does very well. Again I ministered to both groups. I was dashing away for the second service this morning, when a lady called me to her chair. She said that while I was praying her eye, that apparently had been totally blind, suddenly was able to see “the light over my head”. She was rejoicing, so I am rejoicing with her. (She is the lady nearest the camera in the photo above.)

I enjoy shooting pictures of God’s creative art. In this case: these beautiful people and this flower that blooms in my back yard every year at this time.
I call it my “Blue Torch” since the blue part resembles a flame. Click on it to enlarge the picture and enjoy the intricate detail while you recall Jesus’ words, “Even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these!”

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment