Monday, July 11, 2011

With the Homeless on the Streets of San Francisco

Yesterday, Sunday, I enjoyed an awesome day on the streets of San Francisco with Pastors Evan and April Prosser and their wonderful Homeless Church! At the last minute I decided to take my Hawaiian Guitar. I think I had not played it since Frances went to be with Jesus last year. It attracted some attention,
but not as much as Felipe. In both open air locations AM and PM he had a captive audience. One of the workers said that even some hecklers stopped to listen with fixed attention. I’m convinced that every adult has a little kid in there somewhere.
Pastor Evan plays a mean violin. He can really make that thing sing. And he’s got a good sound man that is also a converted professional guitarist. Great stuff! Worship was beautiful.
I felt a powerful anointing when preaching in both services and could sense that the Word was sinking deep into hearts. Invisible miracles that last for eternity were taking place down inside. At first only one brave man responded to the AM altar call. His name is Jesse. Others came later for prayer. A larger group responded at the afternoon service.

Jesus came for broken people and this is a work of love designed to reach them.

After each service they feed the entire homeless world right there on the street. You’ve heard of “service with a smile”. This is “service with visible love”. Check out the sister serving up breakfast and tenderly stroking the homeless woman’s forehead.
I looked at these faces and thought, "These are real people with deep needs just like all of us."

Thanks for your prayers. Some of you even fasted and prayed! My voice held out AM and PM with not much left over.


I think my ribs survived all the squeezing. Wounded people, when touched by Jesus’ love, can sure hug you tight!

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment