Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Scars and Stripes Forever!

Last night a friend and I were discussing my recent “graveside” blog. We had a brief conversation on the phone related to opening up our lives and allowing our pain to become visible to others. Later I received the following insightful note from my friend, who prefers to remain anonymous. I requested permission to publish it on my blog.

“After we were done talking on the phone last night, I turned on TBN just for a few minutes, and Pastor Paula White came on and read the Scripture from John 20:20 +27 "And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side." and then in the same chapter vs 27 "Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side;" After this I turned the TV off. I don't know what she preached, but because of our previous conversation, that Scripture touched me deeply. You know, when we have deep, deep hurts that come through our lives, we are so eager to hide them. We just don't want others to see or feel our deep hurt, we rather cover them up and cry by ourselves, cry by our bedside, or graveside.

But, what did Jesus do? He showed them his scarred hands and feet, which we shall behold for all eternity, the innocent Lamb slain for our sins. He uncovered HIS side, to show them the scar on HIS side, for all to see. I'm one that does not like to see scars, nor like to show mine. But HE did. FOR US. I think this was just the lesson from the Bible that I needed after our conversation. It said to me: "Don't hide your grief, don't hide your scars."

Notice that it strengthened the Apostles' faith. Do our scars strengthen other disciples’ faith? After time, you forget your scars, they heal, and many times you just can’t see them anymore, because of the Balm of Gilead: Jesus. I don't know what Paula preached, but the Holy Spirit clearly spoke to me. Hope this blesses you too.”


Now allow me to add: Rev 5:6 “Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing in the center of the throne…” The totally perfect Savior-Lamb of God today carries eternal, shameful scars of torture and disfigurement. But as I stare in awe at them, He becomes more beautiful because they are scars of His love for me.

Ralph