Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Road to El Chalten


Although it was 1:30 AM when I finally got to bed after last night's (Friday) beautiful service in the city of Gregores nestled in a fertile valley... I was up before dawn and traveling west toward the great Andes Mountains for a 3 PM Saturday service in the new little church in El Chalten.

As I climbed out of the fertile valley up to the desert the sun was rising in the east.  The sky was ablaze and reflecting in the river.  (Above photo)


I chased this rainbow for many miles on a sometimes extremely rough desert road.  Then the light rain made mud.  After four hours of this every screw in my little Peugeot car must have be jostled loose and there is still a layer of mud mixed with small gravel over two inches thick under the fenders.    




But I was thrilled to be on my way to El Chalten where I have wonderful memories. Frances and I held a kids camp here at the base of these incredible peaks in the nineties.  (Professional photo)

(Remember you can click on the pictures to enlarge.)



El Chalten is a pretty tourist village nestled at the base of these peaks.  I shot this picture today as I entered the town, but the stunning peaks were hidden in the clouds.




Now a new little Assemblies of God church is blossoming in a rented cabin under young Andrew Villegas (purple shirt) who graduated from River Platte Bible Institute two years ago. Note the US type AG symbol on the sign.  These were just the first people to arrive before service.  The place later was packed.  Wonderful prayer time!




Now check out a few shots of spontaneous "prayer-hugs" taken in other churches along the way.  I think we Californians need to get into this groove.



Mother with child... last at the altar.




A pastor and family who, like many, needed encouragement.







A pastor's wife grabs one her ladies and they pray for each other.









Even Felipe got in on this one.








A youth group rushes forward to hug and pray for me.



Now can you still wonder why I keep going back to Argentina?

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment