Monday, April 8, 2013

Unforgetable Moment!

One of the wonderful privileges that the Lord Jesus has given me is to minister frequently to children.  I had two back to back kid’s events scheduled for last Saturday afternoon.  The first was at 2 PM in the city of Comodoro Rivadavia and the second at 4 PM in Rada Tilly, the beach resort city only 20 miles away.  Then I was to return to Comodoro Rivadavia to minister to the youth at their 9 PM service.  Three services in one afternoon and evening is a bit much, but opportunities like these to touch these young lives may come only once in a lifetime for these children and youth living deep in the Patagonian desert, so I jumped at the chance.

But I could never have guessed what was waiting for me.  I arrived at 1:30 and did the routine stuff… unloaded my accordion, Felipe’s case and my Bible and checked out the sound system.  The place was teaming with excited kids and children’s workers.  Pastor and Mrs. Primo told me that before I would minister, the children had a surprise for me.  I was made to sit in a chair in front of everyone.

Someone brought a basin of water.  

Two 10 or 12 year old boys knelt at my feet and removed my shoes and socks.  Some of the children rushed forward to sit on the floor at my feet. 

The pastor then proceeded to tell a story to the children:  In another city 1000 miles away, a man and his wife with a little friend called Felipe in a suitcase had come to his church when he was a child.  He said that his life had been affected by that day when they had brought the joy of Christ Jesus into the hearts of little children.  He said that same man of God that had helped to plant new churches in many cities in their country.  


As he spoke the two boys lowered my feet into warm water.  The pastor and his wife laid their hands on me and each led in an extended, beautiful prayer, while little hands never stopped tenderly massaging and washing my feet.  Tears came like a flood.  Soon I was sobbing my heart out and I think I saw tears pouring down the faces of those boys, too.  Even now as I type these words into my computer I am again in a helpless flood of tears.  

Father in heaven, were you watching?  I know You were.  Jesus, were You crying, too?  Were there angels, invisible to our eyes, in that room?  Do angels cry for joy?  I know two young boys and an old man that will never forget that moment and will treasure it throughout eternity.



Help!  The sky is falling!

Ralph