Saturday, April 27, 2013

Surrogate Daddy


It is possible that my physically weakened state has something to do with the fact that I usually have only one real meal per day… and sometimes what is available in a restaurant at lunchtime is not that healthy.  (I continue to minister about 7 times a week.)  I buy lots of fresh fruit and eat apples, oranges and pears in the afternoon and late at night after church, but last night at midnight when I finally finished preaching, praying around the altar... followed by the wonderful “hugging-fest”, I once again, refused the generous offer of a midnight dinner by the pastor.  My system does not take well to after midnight dinners which are common here.  


The "hugging-fest" at the close of each service has recently evolved into a “picture taking fest”.  



Everybody hugs me tight and has somebody there with their cell-phone or iPod to take a picture “for Face” they say… meaning “for Facebook”.  And often they use their iPod to publish them on Facebook that very moment.



If anybody ever finds all the photos of me on “Facebook” with cute girls, young and old men, elderly widows and sweet little kids hugging me… I may get a call from the district office to see if I am still saved… ha.




Last night after most everyone had gone, a young man had been a long time awaiting his turn.  He hugged me with a lot of tears and did not let go for a long time.  

While tears still flowed he told me a story something like this.  His father was 56 years old when he was born.  His parents separated when he was young.  He had been raised by his father who was a Christian.  But he had been a rebellious and sinful youth and never showed any respect or appreciation to his father.  His father did everything for him and prayed constantly for him to receive Christ, but until his father died at 81 years old… (my current age) this young man continued in rebellion.  Now, after his father’s death, he had been wonderfully saved and God had changed his heart.  



All this time, while he was telling me this story, he had something clenched tightly in his hand.  He said with tears, “I never gave anything to my daddy to show my appreciation for all his expense and love for me.  I had a job, I could have helped him, but I was rebellious.”  Then he placed a crumpled bill in my hand and with sobs he said, “I can’t give this to my daddy now… so I have decided to give it to you.”  When he had left I found a crumpled bill in my pocket.  It was a 50 peso bill… worth about $7 US dollars… but probably a real sacrifice for him to give. 

"Surrogate Daddy"

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment