Tuesday, August 16, 2011

We Will Carry the Torch!

Thanks for your prayers. My voice held up miraculously well while sharing with the 8th grade class at Modesto Christian School this morning.
I had their Bible teacher, Mr. Martin Cross, take a few photos as I tried to teach the kids the chorus of a great song, “We will carry the torch. We will lift high the flame. We will march though the darkness with the light of His name. Till the glory of God is seen by the world. We will carry the torch of the Lord!”
The kids seemed attentive as I challenged them to light up their world with the One who said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12) I even brought my own torch.

Years ago, deep beneath the surface of the earth in a huge cavern at the Oregon caves the guide turned out the light. There was total darkness as Frances and I and other tourists clung to the railing. Then suddenly one tiny match flame lit up that entire huge dark cavern!
One Christian life, washed by the blood of Jesus and filled with His Spirit can make an unbelievable difference in this dark world. I briefly shared my call to missions and closed with the story of the ParanĂ¡ Delta River island ministry… a dark sub-culture now illuminated by Jesus, the Light of the World! May God call some of these brilliant youth into His service!

Ralph