Monday, April 21, 2014

Blessings for Seniors and the Little Ones, Too

Last Tuesday I ministered in La Pampa province in the city of Realicó.  The church was packed to capacity with people even standing in the doorway.  Pastor Carlos Farías and his wife had been married the very same day as Frances and I.  He, like myself, is now widowed.  At the close of the service I requested that this 91 year old, vibrant man of God bless me!  


Sunday morning... What's going on? Felipe is charming kids and adults alike.


Sunday night: Oh how I wished you could have been in last night’s service in the city of Coronel Moldes, just to catch the "taste"!  I arrived at 6:30 PM during the closing time of their children’s Sunday School.  About 40 kids were singing at the top of their voices and doing hand motions to the words.  Not a bashful kid in the bunch!  Even the 11 and 12 year old boys were enjoying the hand and body movements with the songs!  At 6:45 PM all the kids filed out to the kitchen for a “tea.”  This gave me 15 minutes or so to set up my instruments, do a sound check and program the projector to teach a new (old) chorus for the adults.  


All the kids were back with their parents for the 7 PM service.  The church was packed and excitement was high.  This church has no musicians at all.  They play video recorded songs with the lyrics projected on the screen and the people sing with all their hearts.  

On one song the girl who was leading turned off the background music and had the whole church sing "a capella".  And WOW did they belt it out!  This was the exact opposite of some churches that have a wonderfully talented band of musicians and singers doing a marvelous show up on the platform with almost nobody singing in the congregation… as happens far too often it seems to me.


Ema, the beautiful young lady that was leading the worship, helped me with Felipe's suitcase.







Just before my sermon, I taught them an ancient chorus that impacted my life when at 11 years old I heard it for the first time:

“Let the beauty of Jesus be seen in me
All His wonderful passion and purity
Oh, Thou Spirit divine, all my nature refine
Till the beauty of Jesus be seen in me.”

(by Albert Orsborn/Tom M. Jones)

Then I preached on my favorite theme: Jesus

At the close as usual the front of the church was filled with kneeling people, including this darling little two year old girl, plus many youth and the elderly… this time they are simply pleading for Christ’s beauty to become visible in their lives. 

Tomorrow I leave the Cordoba province and am scheduled to start ministering in the San Luis province… again with services every night in a different place and 3 services on the weekend… plus an optional fourth children’s meeting on Saturday morning that a church is requesting and I haven’t yet given confirmation. 

God is good!  My little year 2000 Peugeot diesel powered car is running well.  I have been eating and drinking with several friends that are suffering colds and even fevers and sometimes sharing with others the same drinking glass.  Thus far I have contracted none of their symptoms, praise God.  My energy level is high… and my spirit is renewed in every service… again and again... walking down the street, in my hotel room or when I am driving down the highway.  

I am so very blessed to be able to enjoy such a wonderful retirement!


Ralph